Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpoels
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Bose SA5 amp alternative

Hi, with the SA5 discontinued I was wondering what alternatives to look for?

I have LS600 and wanted to add 2 wired outdoor speakers which I had planned to use the SoundTouch app with.  Should I be looking for ST-compatible outdoor speakers?

Looking forward to hearing from the community

Cheers!

7 REPLIES 7
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Bose SA5 amp alternative

Bose do not have any outdoor Soundtouch speakers.  If the SA5 is no longer available, the only current solution would be passive speakers, a third party Amp, and the Soundtouch wireless link adapter.

I would assume (although nothing has yet been announced or hinted at) that any replacement would not be SOundtouch compatible either, it would be going towards the Bose Music ecosystem instead.

kpoels
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Hi, thanks for your reply.  Do I understand correctly that the Bose SoundTouch wireless link adapter can be attached to a non-Bose amp?

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Definately.

It's designed to attach to either a third party amp/powered speaker or to an older Bose system.  It has 3.5mm and optical out (same port, but if you have use a third party optical cable you may need an adapter)

kpoels
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Thanks for your clarification.

Looking at the SA4-bundle, I was wondering if the (older) SoundTouch wireless adapter connected to an SA2 or SA3 via BoseLink would also work?

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

SA2 has no external inputs (just the Bose link from another Bose device).

SA3 could technically connect, but I think you still need something like an old lifestyle (that is Bose link capable) to control volume.  Of course you can control volume through the ST app, but the SA3 has it's own volume so it may depend on what that was at last.

kpoels
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

with the SA4-bundle, the documentation illustrates that the Bose ST Wireless adapter is connected to the SA4 thru the BoseLink-IN, so I assumed that would also work on the SA2 as it also has BoseLink-IN, or am I missing something here?

Note I am talking about the (older) ST-adapter, not the (newer) LINK-version

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

"I assumed that would also work on the SA2"

Probably not.  I know that even with the Lifestyle 535, there were two versions of the console (with nothing on the box that shows a version change).  The earlier Lifestyle that would work with the Sa2 wouldn't work with the Wireless adapter.  The newer Lifestyle that worked with the Wireless adapter wouldn't work with the SA2.

As well as that, Bose haven't made the soundtouch adapter for a couple of years, and I believe they don't even offer repairs for it anymore.  So the likelyhood of you finding a second hand one that works would probably be quite low (or if it did work I wouldn't expect a long life before it needed replacement) .  

As before I would suggest a 3rd party amp with the STWLink adapter.