Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 21, 2020

Bose Solo 5 - No sound

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. Hooked up the Solo 5 to my Sony TV using the optical cable. No sound. Is it supposed to just automatically work or am I supposed to change any settings on the TV? Been frustrating since several online tutorials plus the Bose web page seems to make it look super easy. 

Tried also programming the remote. Also doesn't work.  I noticed after I type in the Sony code and hit +, the TV light remains lit and I have to hit "exit" to make it go off. At any rate, the remote does not work on the TV afterward. 

Noticed in the instruction book it says "You may need to repeat this procedure 30 or more times" which seems very odd. You mean I should type in "0000" (the Sony code) 30 or more times in hopes that it might finally work once? 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Bose Solo 5 - No sound

Hi mksutter22,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

The Solo 5, when connected with the optical cable is usually just a plug in and go setup, but some TVs will need you to change the output setting for what speaker it is using. To do this you will need to use the TV's settings menu and navigate to sound/audio where there will be an option to choose which speaker you want. For the optical output, this will be either Digital Audio Out or Optical on most TVs.

When programming the remote, the repeating part mentioned is not putting the number in again. What it refers to is each manufacturer code having a number of sub-codes that you can cycle through to find the right one for your TV. So what you need to do program the remote correctly is:

1. Power on your TV.

2. On the remote control, press and hold the TV button until all six source buttons glow, then release. only the appropriate source button will glow.

3. On the number keypad, enter the code for your source’s brand, which you mentioned was 0000.

4. Press + on the volume button.

5. Test the source for basic functions (i.e. channel up/down, menu and guide)

6. If your source responds to basic functions, press Exit to save your settings.

7. If your source does not respond to basic functions, press + on the volume button to select another code and test again for basic functionality. Repeat steps 5 - 7 until you find a code that works

The part in the instructions that the "You may need to repeat this procedure 30 or more times" part refers to is steps 5-7 as each time you press the volume + button it will cycle to the next sub-code.

I hope this helps make this clearer for you! Let me know how you get on with the set up!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.