Bose Solo TV Sound System and Sound Touch Wireless Link Adapter

Highlighted
Silent Starter

Bose Solo TV Sound System and Sound Touch Wireless Link Adapter

I have a 2012 Solo TV Sound System device. Is it compatible with the Sound Touch Wireless Link Adapter? Having discovered the flexibility of 'bluetooth' pairing of devices, I would like to use the speakers in the 'Solo' to play a classical playlist from my Apple iPad Mini at a small reception. I believe the usual output of the 'Solo' will be sufficient to the task (it's only a moderately-sized reception room) if the 'Adapter' can be used to link it to the iPad. After pricing other bluetooth enabled speakers, the 'Adapter' would be an economical option, to say nothing of sparing me the ecologically wasteful replacement of a perfectly useable vintage 'Solo'--well, almost perfect, despite its idiosyncracies (some call them "flaws"). 

3 REPLIES

Re: Bose Solo TV Sound System and Sound Touch Wireless Link Adapter

Hi jxnphx@gmail.com,

Thanks for the question.

In theory, this would be able to work even though we wouldn't suggest to continually unplugging and reseating an optical cable if that is one you will choose to use. The only reason we wouldn't recommend to keeping switching connections with an optical cable is that over time the cable could become weak and break.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Silent Starter

Thank you, Joel, for telling me of the delicate nature of the optical-cable seating. While I may go ahead and purchase the SoundTouch Link Adapter for the Solo, I don't believe I'll try to use it as I outlined earlier (disconnecting it from the TV, moving it to the reception venue, etc.).

Having left a subsequent 'Chat' session with a bit of confusion, I need to ask the following:

• With the 'Adapter' connected to the 'Solo', and using the 'SoundTouch App', I expect I would be able to hear my iTunes classical playlist (originating from my Apple iPad Mini) through the 'Solo'--but further, would I be able to link this expanded 'system' to my recently acquired RCA bluetooth-enabled Clock-Radio (RC345)?
  • Now, I expect that I will be considering purchase of one of your SoundTouch Speaker Systems, e.g., the '20' or the '30', in order to hear my iTunes classical playlist at the reception venue (again, using my iPad Mini as the source)--have I got that right?
  • Further, at home, would I be able to link all of these bluetooth enabled speakers (using the SoundTouch App)--the 'Solo', the RCA device, and the '30', say-- so they sound my playlist simultaneously from the iPad Mini?
  • While I connect my desktop and tablet to the internet via wi-fi, I do so thanks to a shared router in my apartment building, but I do not plan to expand this use of the router to a personal apartment system: Can I expect the iPad+SoundTouch App--Solo--RCA--'30' to operate apart from this shared wi-fi system, privately in my quarters?

Hi jxnphx@gmail.comm

Thanks for the reply, I'll be happy to answer your questions.

• Your playlist that is stored on your iPad you could stream using Bluetooth to the SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter without the SoundTouch application running. To add a music library as a source to SoundTouch, you can only do this from a computer or NAS drive.

• If you're planning on using a SoundTouch 20 or 30 at a reception venue, you would not want to use the Wi-Fi since the security is usually enhanced at those locations for privacy, but you can use it with either Bluetooth or AUX cable between your iPad and the SoundTouch system.

• As far as linking all of your Bluetooth devices for music in unison, they are not able to broadcast a single in that scenario. If you had say, like 3 SoundTouch products you can do what is called "Play All" and this would rely on a Wi-Fi network to redistribute the signal to your SoundTouch systems.

• If you're using a shared network or computer, this may cause issues using the SoundTouch products due to security as far as being able to detect the system in the SoundTouch app. The recommended setup to use SoundTouch is your own personal router. Shared networks tend to have additional security so you can not see other devices on the network, so this would not work for SoundTouch.  

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support