Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2020

Bose Solo Tv Speaker

I have just purchased a Bose Solo TV speaker.

My tv is a 10 year old LG 42 LD520.  I set up Bose speaker as detailed in set up guide, however, sound continued to come from tv speaker, nothing from Bose speaker.  I have tried a number of different things on my tv audio controls.  Still no sound from Bose speaker.

Tried plugging optical cable in to outlet on my cable box, and voila!  Sound coming from Bose speaker!

My question...... what do I need to do on my tv audio controls in order to have sound come through Bose speaker?  I am planning on cutting off my cable in the very near future and won't have the box.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Bose Solo Tv Speaker

Hi Ms. L,

Thanks for reaching out, I'm glad to hear that you found a temporary solution for this. 

This may be down to your TV output settings, you may also have a faulty Optical connection on your TV. There are a few factors which could take into account here but we will happily look into these concerns with you if you wish. 

Out of interest, had you tried a HDMI connection to your TV? I am aware that this cable does not come provided in the packaging but you do also have this connection available to you 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 15, 2020

Hi, 

I read the above issue and your answer, and have the same problem. 

We bought a Bose Solo TV speaker set today and connected it to our home TV ( a Samsung TV Series-4 42inch Model PS42C451) using the Digital Optical cable connector included with the Bose TV Speaker set.  The TV does not have a HDMI ARC connector available.  It only has standard HDMI inputs 1, 2, and 3.   

As with the original post above, the Bose will not transmit any sound from the TV. 

We have tried adjusting all the TV sound settings through the TV menu, turning it all off, waiting, restarting, turning one or the other off (TV and SoundBar) with no luck.

We read the Bose troubleshooting guide online and the in-the-box manual and tried all solutions presented. Still No Sound.   

We then connected the Optical cable directly to an old DVD player and instant sound!! We tried Blue tooth connections, and again - good sound. We then re-connected the Optical cable back to the TV while playing a DVD from the DVD player through HDMI 2 to the TV and we get no sound on Bose, only sound on the TV.  The same applies when on TV or Apple TV sources. 

I then tested the built-in TV troubleshooting sound option and instantly sound emits from the Bose, which tells me the TV's  Optical Audio out connection is working fine as on test mode it works,  But no sound goes to the Bose TV Speaker sound-bar when using normal TV or APPLE TV (HDMI-1) or DVD (HDMI-2).   

How do we get the Bose to recognise sound is coming from the TV Audio Optical out cable?

thanks    

Highlighted

Hi DavidRL,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

As you were able to get sound when connecting directly to your DVD player, it does sound like something in the TV is stopping sound from playing through the soundbar.

What I would recommend checking first is whether the optical port on your TV is sending a signal through the cable. When the optical cable is connected to your TV, you should see a light coming through the cable. Don't look directly into this, but if you point it at a surface closely enough you should see this light. If you do not see this light you will want to reach out to Samsung about this as it seems like the optical port on the TV is not working.

If you do see the light, the next thing to do would be to look at the audio format your TV is using. The soundbar supports both Dolby Digital and PCM, if your TV is using another format then it won't play through the soundbar. You can check this from the Sound settings on your TV. There will usually be an option for Audio Format that will let you choose this.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 15, 2020

Hi and thanks for your response.  After a couple of frustrating days we decided the TV was just too old and bought at new TV!  The new TV is amazing in its colour and quality and capabilities.
However, once again the Bose Solo TV speaker does not work with the new 2020 model Sony TV (which does have the HDMI ARC connector - we checked on that BEFORE we bought it).

We checked with JB HiFi (retailer of both the soundbar and the new TV ) and they suggested dropping back to the optical cable.  We tried that and now have the TV and Bose Solo TV Speaker working (thank goodness). 

However, I am aware that the Optical is not as good a connection as the HDMI ARC. and we bought the new TV specifically to upgrade to latest technology.   So - what do we need to do to get the HDMI ARC working with the Bose Solo TV Speaker. 

We have tried every option on the TV we could find, checked manufacturers manuals, and all indications are that it should autodetect the Bose Solo TV Speaker and connect to it through HDMI ARC cable.  We tried changing the cable over with another one, but same result (and the original cable worked fine on the other connection from DVD to the TV so its not the cable that is a problem).

The problem as much as I can diagnose is that the TV is not recognising the Bose Solo TV Speaker so gives it no sound.  We switch the TV from TV inbuilt speaker to external and it works via Optical, but not via HDMI.

We also bought a new Bose bluetooth speaker for the bedroom - and that has amazing sound - we are very happy with that (and it works off the phone exactly as promised).

Thanks for any suggestions you may have. Currently we feel very frustrated that we have bought all new Tech and it wont work correctly!  We are convinced Bose has great sound - if only we could get it work with the TV! 

cheers