Ken_S547
Participant
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

Bose Soundbar 700 Sound Quality: Bluetooth vs wired ARC

Wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge on whether Bluetooth connection provides the same audio qualify as wired ARC connection to a Smart TV for the Soundbar 700?

13 REPLIES 13
ThierryB
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 Sound Quality: Bluetooth vs wired ARC

No it doesn't. With ARC / Optical the sound will be better than with Bluetooth.

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Exactly, use HDMI if possible.  If HDMI does not work for some reason, then optical.  Last choice is bluetooth.

Sushi.Sphere
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Dear Bose Community,

based on my personal experience, my finding is different from the straightforward expectation.

Since half a year, I am an owner the 5.1 System of Bose soundbar 700, Base module 700 and Surround Speaker 700, which is connected to a Sony Bravia TV through eARC HDMI Cable. Through a second HDMA Cable, the TV is also connected to a Windows 10 Intel NUC PC. I use this setup to enjoy premium Spotify at 320kbps Ogg Vorbis, Netflix and YouTube.

I enjoy the audio in 3 ways - (1) HDMI eARC (2) Bluetooth (3) Wifi Streaming, and in theory, supposedly the Audio Quality should be like (3) > (1) > (2). But in my setup, it is actually (3) ~= (2) > (1).

Weirdly I found the audio quality of Bluetooth is better than HDMI eARC. I tried different sources like Netflix movies, Spotify 320kbps and YouTube, etc. To my ears, Bluetooth shows more details and more immersive. 

It is very welcome if someone has similar experience with technical explanation,... I don't understand because the bandwidth of HDMA eARC should be mucht higher than Bluetooth Audio Compression. Why does bluetooth sounds actually better than HDMI cable?

Sushi.Sphere

25. April 2020

Germany

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If bluetooth is better, something is wrong.

Sushi.Sphere
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

If no PC is used, i.e., using Smart TV's Netflix or Spotify directly as the sources to drive the soundbar through ARC HDMI cable, then the audio quality is better.

But an observable degradation in audio quality happens only when the source of the soundbar is from PS4 or from the Intel NUC PC, i.e., PC or PS4 -> HDMI Cable -> TV ARC -> Soundbar eARC.

It seems to me, the audio degradation comes from the path between PC/PS4 and Smart TV.

Referring to online comments, I did check the Windows 10 sound settings. But the settings look ok.

Does someone have similar experience?

RAMSHIK
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Hi, I have a samsung q6 tv. It does not support good sound formats such as dts. Therefore, talking about sound quality is difficult for me. But testing showed such results: I received the highest quality sound through airplay 2. The difference between HDMI (WAV format) and bluetooth is almost noticeable, it plays well without intermediaries deezer but sorry no deezer HIFI Bose just can’t afford to buy this service for its system, receiving system with formats in 320 (MP3)

Thamarai_kannan
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2020

Hi, 

i also have have a similar setup (Bose Soundar 700 + base module 700) and the Bluetooth audio is far better than arc.

i use the tv app for Netflix, Amazon & hbo. 

Now I feel I have been hearing subpar output due to the arc option.

TK

PKChauhan
Participant
Registered since

Jul 29, 2020

Same experience is with me. Sound quality is far better on Bluetooth.  I am having sony bravia 4k tv and tried all options.. but the best sound is on Bluetooth..can anyone explain why it is happening.. any change in settings.. on tv its digital dolby plus..

p-azevedo
Participant
Registered since

Aug 1, 2020

this has become a very common issue.

the problem is the way bose soundbar 700 processes audio signal coming in from the TV through hdmi arc/cec.

a lot of people reporting bass module with little to no bass, as well as soudnbar and rear speakers not filling the room / not immersive enough.

bluetooth sound is GOOD, but should not be better than HDMI audio. And due to this issue, it unfortunately is.

very disappointing from bose to not address this issue in what could be fixed via firmware update. 

shame, as this really lets down what could be the best sounding wireless 5.1 on the market.