Bose Soundbar 700 Sound quality vs the Soundtouch 300

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 Sound quality vs the Soundtouch 300

Hello doge5462,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

We're happy to see you're like your new Soundbar 700. We do have a couple of great options for mounting located HERE. All of our mounting options come with instructions on what to do during setup. 

Once you purchase one and set it up, don't forget to re-run AdaptIQ for the best performance possible. 

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Wistful Whiz

OK, at the risk of getting flamed repeatedly, why would someone want to equip every room of their house with a Bose Soundtouch device?  Also, who has a house with 12 rooms?  Seems to me that a living room, kitchen, and 3 bedrooms with a Soundtouch device would already be overkill.  Just saying...

Wistful Whiz

I remain very satisfied with the SoundTouch line. I have two ST30s and a Cinemate 130 with a SoundTouch adaptor (which I purchased a year later). I am going to be purchasing a SoundTouch 10 for my wife to go in her sewing room. I have no reservations about buying another SoundTouch speaker to ad to my collection. The SoundTouch line is mature and robust with many of the bugs worked out.

I have had a few experiences lately which have served to reinforce my confidence in the product line and Bose continued support for the SoundTouch line: 

4K pass through, not a big deal. I found using optical for audio and HDMI direct to the tv works great. Bose even sent me a Bose branded optical cable because it wasn’t included in my Cinemate 130 originally.

Dropping signals turned out to be wifi router interference, not Tunein as I feared. Following advice from the Bose moderators, I successfully connected the troublesome speaker via Ethernet and everything works fine. 

Big thanks to the Bose moderators for helping sort out the 4K HDMI cableing concerns and dropped signal issue.

I wouldn’t hesitate advising to go with SoundTouch if you have existing SoundTouch gear or if you have a requirement for smaller SoundTouch 10 or larger SoundTouch 30 speakers. If you are new to Bose, with no investment in SoundTouch speakers, or want Alexa, or have a burning desire to hook up your gear using the latest HDMI 2.2 cables, you are probably best to go with the 500/700 Bose Smart speaker line. 

Which ever route you follow, you will be buying into great sounding high quality speakers.

Wistful Whiz

@jimgfitz 

No flame here...I have read about some users having SoundTouch speakers in many many rooms, outside by the pool, I have one in my garage! I have been amazed at how some people have outfitted their homes with SoundTouch speakers. These wireless speakers and their ability to be placed almost anywhere around the house is pretty impressive. 

Wistful Whiz

Just to mention to anyone interested, my Bose Soundtouch 300 is connected to my LG OLED using HDMI and it works perfectly.

Wistful Whiz

@jimgfitz wrote:

Just to mention to anyone interested, my Bose Soundtouch 300 is connected to my LG OLED using HDMI and it works perfectly.

I think having optical and HDMI connection sets the Bose product apart from other systems. Sonos for example doesn’t offer this feature and there has been much call for HDMI. I am not using HDMI/ARC as my Bose system is older and HDCP 2.2 is an issue.

Reading other comments and my limited experience, ARC/CEC still leaves me underwhelmed. Also In my home, one user in particular, does not like the bigger sound of a Bose system, so running everything through one remote (that isn’t the cable remote) would not be welcomed. 

Wistful Whiz

Yes, optical is the same as HDMI as far as sound quality.  If you don't need the control features of HDMI, then optical is as good as HDMI.

However, I am surprised anyone would prefer tv speakers over Bose.  Sounds like a wife thing.

Wistful Whiz

@jimgfitz wrote:

Yes, optical is the same as HDMI as far as sound quality.  If you don't need the control features of HDMI, then optical is as good as HDMI.

However, I am surprised anyone would prefer tv speakers over Bose.  Sounds like a wife thing.

Man LOL

I have heard from a few wives who don’t share my enthusiasm for good sound. In fact other tv viewing advances like 4K HDR are lost as well. Because of this co - tv viewing arrangement I have always had to do a setup where having multiple devices turning on per the CEC protocols is not welcome.

However running dual setups using Bose gear and Samsung TVs has worked very well over the years. Just means an extra remote for better sound. I will say my newest Samsung Series 8000 TV has a pretty good 40 watt speaker speaker system. Good base and vitriol surround. No replacement of course for the Bose gear.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

If you plug all your devices into your TV using HDMI, then use optical from TV to Bose, you won't lose anything except surround sound when watching TV without your Bose turned on.

EDIT:  Also, get a good programmable remote if you don't already have one.  My wife uses the Charter remote because all she does is watch tv with Bose 300 turned on by CEC.  I use a Harmony 880 remote which is programmed for each different scenario I need.

Wistful Whiz

@jimgfitz wrote:

If you plug all your devices into your TV using HDMI, then use optical from TV to Bose, you won't lose anything except surround sound when watching TV without your Bose turned on.

EDIT:  Also, get a good programmable remote if you don't already have one.  My wife uses the Charter remote because all she does is watch tv with Bose 300 turned on by CEC.  I use a Harmony 880 remote which is programmed for each different scenario I need.

I agree, I think the key to all of this control lays more with smart remotes rather than ARC/CEC.

The new remote that came with the Samsung 8000 series TV has proven to be very smart, controlling my Apple TV, my Yamaha BD player, my Shaw cable tuner(Xfinity). No joy with the Cinemate console however. It might work if I turn on CEC and connect to ARC but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole, HDMI 2.2 concerns to start with.

My wife is using the Xfinity remote and cable tuner and I tend to use the Samsung remote and now tv apps. That is how I am getting uncomplicated HDR sources. I am getting voice navigation with both remotes as well.