EricY
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Bose Soundbar 700 to be added into Google speaker group

Hi folks,

I know that there was a thread discussing this feature before. It's been label as resolved but I think many users don't accept using Bluetooth connection as a solution to add our SB700 into Google Home's speaker group. So, I'd like to create a new discussion on this feature again.

Per the information I can find on other websites, it seems that there are some other 3rd-party branded speakers, TVs, devices do support this feature. That is, Google Home's multiroom music system is not limited to Google Home/ Nest product lines.

https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/google-home-assistant-multiroom-music-audio-nest-chromecast-2349

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/05/05/how-to-add-android-tv-in-google-home-speaker-group/

It seems that as long as the device has Chromecast built-in. From my understanding, it may not require hardware change to SB700 considering it already has Wi-fi streaming feature. Can we have Bose to look into the possibility to make it Chromecast compatible so that it can really become part of the real Smart Home enabled devices?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Vrbanjac
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

Re: Bose Soundbar 700 to be added into Google speaker group

I agree, the other discussion should not be the accepted answer. I think it is bad marketing move from their side as well. It has Google Assistant and thus is expected to provide the same functionality as almost all other Google Assistant branded speakers.

Could possibly be my first and last Bose speakers because of this. Better integration is provided by speakers for a 3rd of the price.

Also, this is not a HW issue, it is just a feature that they never implemented. 

tjesper
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2021

I totally agree. It seems like an easy fix for Bose. Bose has always been my choice of speaker system, but now that smart homes and voice control is more and more important to the users, this company will lose long time customers unless they fix this very quickly. Not only on new models, but also for existing models with google assistant. Had I known this prior to purchase I would have chosen another brand. 

hf4
Participant
Registered since

Jun 17, 2020

+1 to the messages above 

This is ridiculous, seems like a relatively small integration code fix to register within the Google Home app as a speaker.

@boseplease confirm that you can make this change? Or do you need support from within the Google ecosystem?

We need to fix this, I'm so disappointed with my new soundbar because of this missing feature.

Dajagfather
Participant
Registered since

Feb 2, 2021

So I suppose the only solutions is to ditch Bose altogether or use only Bose speakers rather than the Google home and Google minis. Wish I would have know this before I forked over $1800 for a Bose Soundbar and sub. Very disappointing.

Bossel1
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2021

+1 to all the previous comments. 

It is really a blocker to fully enjoy my Bose system. And several of my friends are similarly frustrated.

I've been waiting for over a year to get this item fixed but Bose bizarrely does not seem to see this as an issue. 

I hope Bose will soon provide a timeline to get this done or I will be switching to a system compatible with Google speaker groups. (Which pains me as I've been a Bose fan for the past 20 years)