JeyT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2016

Bose System integration Issues

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose SA-4

Australia

I have been using Bose systems for many years and was impressed by the 'future proof' system architecture of the systems. With the introduction of wireless connection, it has become a little messed. I have a LS28 system with the adopter, Sound Touch 130, Sound Touch speakers, SA-4 Amp with Garden speakers, Wave Radio.  Each of these systems is capable of accepting certain connections (Airplay, BT, Sound Touch etc.,).  SA-4 does not work with Airplay and accepts only Sound Touch.  My initial expectation was that Bose will integrate systems to work with each other, but unfortunately, each system should be capable of handling the connection type before using the 'Play All' feature.  Bose is introducing newer technologies and may handle this in the future leaving the current systems unsupported. Bose should be able to come out with an architecture which makes the systems seamlessly.  I understand that lack of a 'standard' makes it complex, but someone has take the lead. 

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

6 REPLIES 6
Jessie_O

Re: Bose System integration Issues

Hey JeyT, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

I'd love to help you with your set up. In order to do so, can you tell me if you have rooms of expansion set up already? How do you have these connected? Can you also tell me which wave system you have?

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully getting you up and running. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
JeyT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2016

The Wave system 3 is used only as an independent unit all the time.

LS, SA-4, 130 and SoundTouch 20 systems are generally used independently, but often I use the LS, SA/4 with FS51 speakers & the SoundTouch20 using the SoundTouch App. The current set up works okay for any TuneIn station or music stored on the computer/server. The connectivity varies depending on the device. I use Google and not Alexa.

My main issue is that I am unable to play music stored on a Phone on the SA/4 + FS51 speakers. 

Keith_L

Thanks for letting us know that JeyT!

You should be able to play music stored on your iPhone to your SA-4 using Airplay, so it's strange that you mentioned you are unable to use Airplay with the amplifier. The SoundTouch adapter on the SA-4 does support Airplay 1, rather than Airplay 2, so does not support playing to multiple speakers at the same time via Airplay, but you should still be able to connect to it.

If you are unable to connect to the SA-4 via Airplay, try the troubleshooting steps shown HERE as I'm sure they will help you get Airplay up and running.

Let me know how you get on!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
JeyT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2016

Thanks and it was an interesting comment. Yes, it did work before when we did not have Airplay 2. Now, it appears that all the Apple products support only Airplay 2 and not Airplay 1.  Is there an option without the the need to use an old iPhone or use it without upgrading the O/S?

(I am aware of the fact that SA-4 does not support Airplay 2  and one option is to get rid of the SA-4 and buy SA-5 ???) -

Sam_F

Hey JeyT,

As far as I know, Apple devices will not immediately require software updates but you may find they become compulsory at a certain point, to keep all technologies communicative and functioning with each other. Therefore, you'll likely need to use your SA-4 through AirPlay 1 without integrating the other systems running AirPlay 2. I can imagine this is quite frustrating but you are correct in that a potential future upgrade to the SA-5 (which operates with AirPlay 2), will allow you to group all your systems once again.

If you have any other queries please let me know!

JeyT
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2016

Thanks. Looks like there no solutions available to connect the phone to the SA-4 and Bose may not offer a solution in the future as well....