Ubertrout
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2020

Bose TV Speaker and Cable Box Use Same Remote Codes?

Hi, I recently picked up a Bose TV Speaker for my parents, who were having trouble hearing dialogue on the TV's built-in speakers.  I have them set up with a Logitech Harmony 665 Remote, but I noticed that the Bose TV Speaker volume changes when I give commands to the cable box (Motorola / Verizon QIP7100) using the universal remote.  This doesn't seem to happen in the reverse, and I was wondering if maybe there's some sort of mistake or weird confluence here?  Both the cable box and Bose TV Speaker seem to work properly, but the Bose TV Speaker volume changes weirdly if I use the guide and arrow key functions on the cable box from the universal remote (the volume keys on the universal remote properly control volume on the Bose TV Speaker).

7 REPLIES 7
Vicky_W

Re: Bose TV Speaker and Cable Box Use Same Remote Codes?

Hello Ubertrout, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. 

I would love to help you, help your parents. Before I get started on troubleshooting or fixes, can I please confirm, is it the Logitech Harmony 665 Remote that is not functioning as you would like or the Bose Universal remote?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Ubertrout
Participant
Registered since

Dec 22, 2020

The Logitech remote is working, in that it controls the volume fine on the Bose TV speaker.  But the TV Speaker seems to share remote codes with the Verizon cable box, in that when I control the cable box, the volume on the TV Speaker changes as well, and the light blinks to indicate it's receiving commands.  I guess there's no way around that, but maybe there's something?

Jessie_O

Thank you for confirming this! 

It is very possible that this could be happening. With universal remotes, we cannot guarantee The functionality will be for the same buttons between the two remotes. 

I hope this helps shed some light on this for you. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
dhathcox@earthlink.net
Participant
Registered since

Dec 25, 2020

My new Bose TV Speaker responses very erratically to my Verizon remote. TV Speaker turns on and off, mutes, and changes volume with changes made to the controls on the remote.

This is very frustrating and renders this new TV Speaker for Bose to be very unsatisfactory.  I will need to return this speaker and shop for another brand apparently.

Is there no solution within Bose?

dhathcox@earthlink.net
Participant
Registered since

Dec 25, 2020

This new TV Speaker was purchased to replace a Bose Solo that was no longer working properly.  The Solo actually worked just fine in that it operated separately from the TV.  The new Speaker wants to work in concert with the TV but switches volume and muteness with every touch of the Verizon remote.

Can this be remedied? 

Keith_L
Community Manager

This certainly is strange dhathcoz!

From how you are describing this it does sound like the remote may be sending commands it should not be while you are controlling the cable box. What I would recommend doing is clearing the programming on your remote for the cable box and resetting it. The Harmony website shows that the correct way to remove a device is by following the steps shown HERE.

If you had previously programmed the remote to control your Solo 5 as well, it would be worth removing this from the remote as well, and re-programming it for your new TV speaker instead.

Let me know how this goes!

Wayne_M
Lead Community Manager

Just a heads up that we have an update we believe fixes this issue.  

You can find instructions on how to update here.

This should resolve this issue for you, but if you update and still run into an issue please let us know!

Thanks

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply. If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!