Vickif
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2021

Bose lifestyle 5 music system volume stuck on maximum. Remote & receiver volume won’t work. Any fix?

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name

Country

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: Bose lifestyle 5 music system volume stuck on maximum. Remote & receiver volume won’t work.

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi Vickif, 

Regrettably, due to the age of the system, spare parts are no longer manufactured so we cannot recommend replacing the remote nor booking the system in for a repair. 

It's possible the contact points for volume inside the remote control could be corroded and could be causing a bridged contact which prevents you from adjusting the volume level, but again, as we cannot repair the system it's not something the team can check. 

My recommendation is that if you continue to have issues, please get in contact with local support to discuss what options you have with regards to updating to a modern system. You may be able to use the Lifestyle 5 to save money via a trade in. 

Thanks.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Bose lifestyle 5 music system volume stuck on maximum. Remote & receiver volume won’t work. A...

Hi Vickif,

Thanks for posting and joining us in the Community!

So I can provide you with the most accurate information on this, can you please let me know which version of the Lifestyle 5 you have, as we did make a few generations of the Lifestyle 5. If you are unsure of the exact model, you can double-check this by using the Find Your Product section on our support site HERE.

No matter which version of the Lifestyle you have, the first thing I would recommend trying is a reset of the music centeer, by following these steps:

1. Turn the music center off
  2. Unplug the music center power supply from the power outlet. Wait 30 seconds
  3. Reconnect the power supply
  4. Retest the system

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Vickif
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2021

Re: Bose lifestyle 5 music system volume stuck on maximum. Remote & receiver volume won’t work.

Hello, it is a Lifestyle 5, series ll music system. Serial number U225530. Model five. Manufactured June 1995. I did try the unplugging and waiting and plugging it back in and it did not resolve the problem. I sure hope there is a solution to fix this volume control. Thank you

Liam_G

Thank you for confirming Vickif. I am sorry to hear that the above steps didn't resolve the issue. I would recommend to try pairing the remote to the console again as this may help you regain control of the volume. You can follow these steps to pair the remote: 

1. Power off your system
2. On the system console, press and hold the Store button until two lines begin blinking on the system display
3. While holding the Store button, press any button on the remote: The lines stop blinking on the display.
4. Release the Store button.

Let me know how you get on with this. 

Vickif
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2021

Hi again, I have already done the remote pairing. I’ve done everything suggested in the manual and all the things I’ve read on this site to no avail. I tried everything multiple times. All the functions on the remote and all the functions on the receiver work except for the volume control. Apparently there is no fix for this problem which pretty much renders the entire system useless as it is impossible to listen to it at full blast. I live in the Wichita Kansas area and apparently there is no authorized Bose stores or technicians close by. Even if there was it seems highly likely that they wouldn’t know how to fix this problem. I can’t see putting any more money into this unless there is a guaranteed fix. This is very very frustrating.

Jeff_G

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi Vickif, 

Regrettably, due to the age of the system, spare parts are no longer manufactured so we cannot recommend replacing the remote nor booking the system in for a repair. 

It's possible the contact points for volume inside the remote control could be corroded and could be causing a bridged contact which prevents you from adjusting the volume level, but again, as we cannot repair the system it's not something the team can check. 

My recommendation is that if you continue to have issues, please get in contact with local support to discuss what options you have with regards to updating to a modern system. You may be able to use the Lifestyle 5 to save money via a trade in. 

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Vickif
Participant
Registered since

Apr 23, 2021

Well, turns out it was user error the entire time… I did not have the speaker plugs connected correctly in the back of the receiver 

Vickif_0-1623276483817.png