mk1000ie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Bose soundbar 500 pcm and surround channel not working properly

Coming across the issue that for the base module no pcm channel is assigned and for the surround speakers the channels aren’t playing proper either. It’s very noticeable when I run the Dolby 5.1 surround sound check on YouTube. Basically no sound from the PCM channel and the sound from the rear wireless surround speakers, is mixed with the left and/or right soundbar speakers. I did run ADAPT IQ a number of times but it did not resolve the issue. I have also reset the base module and surround speakers. Also did not make a difference. The soundbar is connected via ARC HDMI. I have a samsung 2018 8 series TV. I had this problem before, but when running ADAPTIQ, is was resolved. Not this time though. Does anyone know how this can be fixed? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Bose soundbar 500 pcm and surround channel not working properly

Hi Mk1000ie,

thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your set up and I'll do all I can to assist you! 

I'm sorry but I don't completely understand what you mean. PCM is a Sound Format used by TVs and isn't channel. Would you mind explaining in a bit more detail what the issue is?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The left and right rear sounds being reversed is a known and common problem with the new Bose Soundbar systems.  You can reverse the switches on the power adapters to correct this until Bose solves the problem.

mk1000ie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Apologies, I was playing around with the PCM/Bitstream setting on my TV. I meant to refer to the LFE channel.

re the surround issue, just to clarify, there is no distingt rear sound coming from either of the rear surround channels/speakers, but they mix with the left and right front soundbar speakers. During adaptiq setup this is not the case and the sound only comes from the surround speakers. 

Many thanks. 

Highlighted
BrianJP
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Sounds very similar to problem I and others had . In my case there were 2 fixes .1st reduce centre channel level to below 0.   -10 is enough. 2nd  On TV if sound output is set to Dolby try if you have it  Dts neo. 

Also be aware there is an issue with ARC causing problems in particular with some Samsung TV's. There are hundreds of posts here and elsewhere and it now seems to be accepted but Bose although they are yet to fix it.

Hi Mk1000ie, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. I am sorry to hear that your issue still persists. 

Can you please confirm the software version that your system is running? 

I look forward to hearing back from you and appreciate the comments from other community users. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

mk1000ie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Hope that this contains the information you are looking for.

[ Edited by moderator]  

Hi mk1000ie, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. 

Please perform a reset on the Soundbar via: 

• Turn the soundbar off
  • Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cord
  • Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

I would also recommend that you disconnect the surround speakers from power when performing this reset. 

Please update me on the result of this and if any other users of the community are also having this issue please let us know if you have resolved this. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

mk1000ie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Hi Hector, I did and no change. I also unplugged surround sound speakers and the base module. Soundbar speakers are mixing with the surround speakers when running the Dolby 5.1 test. No sound from

the base module during the test. 

Best, Marcel

mk1000ie
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Forget to mention. I thought it might have something todo with the TV so I connected my iPhone via airplay and played the same Dolby 5.1 test through my iPhone on the Bose system. Still the very same result. No LFE sound and soundbar mice’s with surround speakers. Seems to be a software Bose issue.