Highlighted
Strategerizer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 20, 2019

Can Bose Lifestyle turn on from "standby" automatically when receiving signal?

I have a Bose Lifestyle v30. I upgraded my TV, Blue-Ray player, Roku, etc. to latest models with 4K, streaming smarts and Google Assistant integration. All devices connect to the TV via HDMI and from there I have optical audio into Bose Lifestyle v30. Now I can control all my other devices simply by voice and they work very together well.

BUT... Bose is an outlier. I can tell Google to cast something to my Chromecast on my TV and all the right devices turn on and switch to the right inputs. Well, except for the Bose; I need to manually turn that on/off... I am thinking of leaving it always on -OR- figuring out if it can turn itself on/off from standby (not sure if it has such a mode) when it detects signal from optical input. Is this possible?

If not... any idea how much Bose Lifestyle v30 consumes if I keep it on all the time, ready to go?

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can Bose Lifestyle turn on from "standby" automatically when receiving signal?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Strategerizer

Hi there @Strategerizer and welcome to the Bose Community!

While there are auto-power settings on the Lifestyle V30, these would power on your TV when a video input was connected, but not the other way around. I would normally recommend that you connect your devices to the input of this console and use this setting, however this system does not feature 4K pass-through, meaning that you would not be experiencing the highest quality that you could.

Although this feature is available on our newer Soundbars and systems, there is no "Optical Auto-Wake" feature for the Lifestyle V30, meaning that you cannot have the Bose system power on automatically when input audio is detected through an optical cable.

As far as the power consumption is concerned, this would vary based on the setup (e.g. cable type(s) used, whether a surge protector is used, what country/region you're based in etc) so I can't give an accurate answer to this for you.

If you're interested in a system that does meet your requirements for waking, please reach out to a nearby store or the local support to you for the best advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions or updates!

Liam W - Community Support

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can Bose Lifestyle turn on from "standby" automatically when receiving signal?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Strategerizer

Hi there @Strategerizer and welcome to the Bose Community!

While there are auto-power settings on the Lifestyle V30, these would power on your TV when a video input was connected, but not the other way around. I would normally recommend that you connect your devices to the input of this console and use this setting, however this system does not feature 4K pass-through, meaning that you would not be experiencing the highest quality that you could.

Although this feature is available on our newer Soundbars and systems, there is no "Optical Auto-Wake" feature for the Lifestyle V30, meaning that you cannot have the Bose system power on automatically when input audio is detected through an optical cable.

As far as the power consumption is concerned, this would vary based on the setup (e.g. cable type(s) used, whether a surge protector is used, what country/region you're based in etc) so I can't give an accurate answer to this for you.

If you're interested in a system that does meet your requirements for waking, please reach out to a nearby store or the local support to you for the best advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions or updates!

Liam W - Community Support

Strategerizer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 20, 2019

@Liam_W, thank you for yout thoughtful reply. I understand that without auto-sensing I could either replace my Bose system or just keep it on all the time. Any further idea on how I would estimate power consumption? I am in the U.S. and I do have the Bose plugged into an extension cord that I think has some basic surge protection. All other are regular/default cables that came with the unit. I just have no sense of how much would the Bose consume to just sit there powered on without much to do but light up the head ubit display and be ready to kick in with amplification if/when audio signal comes through the TV audio input. I guess I could be OK if consumption is no more than 10-15 W but I have no idea what expectation I should have... Would you be able to estimate?

It sure would be nice to tell Google to play a YouTube video on the TV in the living room and have the Bose ready to provide the audio...

Thanks!!

Hi again @Strategerizer and thanks for following up.

The maximum power consumption of the control console itself is 66W. The most accurate way to confirm how much power is consumed when this is in use would be to use a meter directly.

Based on the information you have provided, if I were to give you a very rough estimate that this would use between 6-16W when on but not playing, but there are still other factors that would be affecting this so please take this with a pinch of salt!

Hopefully this will help you find a solution you're happy with 😊.

Liam W

Strategerizer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 20, 2019

Great, I appreciate your input; thank you!