anw13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Can you connect Solo 5 tv sound system to a different device?

Hi! I just purchased the Solo 5 tv sound system to use for my tv as well as a speaker for my turntable. I was told that I would be able to do both with this soundbar. I connected the speaker to my tv using the optical connecter. The sound comes out just fine for my TV when when I try to use it for my record player, nothing happens. I connected the two directly to each other using an AUX cord. Even when I connect the aux to my computer or phone, I can't get any sound from the soundbar. I have also tried completely disconnecting the optical cable and changing to "aux" on the remote (as long as I did that right). Should this be working with other devices, or is it meant solely for TVs? 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Can you connect Solo 5 tv sound system to a different device?

It should be as simple as pressing AUX on the remote and it will play anything plugged into the Aux slot.  My only other thought is that some Turntables require a pre-amp to bring it up to the level that other speakers can play it.  What have you played the turntable through before?

anw13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I thought so too! Unfortunately that hasn't been working for me. I just bought the turntable so this is my first time plugging it in. Since it's brand new, it is one of the ones that does not require a pre-amp. I am supposed to just be able to plug it in, flip the switch (can be either phono or line) and have it work just with the aux. 

Morlock
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Just because it's new doesn't mean it doesn't need a pre-amp 🙂

Have you tried anythign else through the AUX (phone/ipod/computer)?  That should tell you whether its the Solo or the turntable.

anw13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Lol sorry yes totally get that! The manual for the turntable says no pre-amp needed. 

I have tried using my computer with the aux and no sound came through. (should've mentioned that before)