Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

CineMate 130: Audio only, no video w/ 4K 60 Hz

Hello everyone,

I’ve been searching all over for help with an issue I’m having with my Bose 130 home sound system and came across this community wondering if anyone may have some insight.  Unfortunately, I’m not the most tech-savvy with AV and entertainment equipment.

About two days ago, I believe my Xfinity X1v4 cable box performed an automatic update that essentially bricked the Bose system at 4K 60 Hz resolution.  This was working previously and now I’m only receiving audio from the Bose 130, not video (LG OLED55E6P TV).  Xfinity/Comcast support has led me to a dead end as well.

My setup is currently:

Wall cable socket > X1 Cable Box > HDMI cable into CBL SAT port on Bose 130 box > HDMI cable from Bose 130 TV port into HDMI ARC port  on LG TV

As well as optical cable from Bose 130 box to sound bar 

I’ve read some inconsistent posts about 4K 60 Hz either being compatible or incompatible with Bose 130 (I understand something with HDCP 2.2 though I’m not 100% familiar), and seems incompatible with official specifications being an older product.  I guess I’m trying to get to the bottom of “why was it working before and what can I do to restore it?” more than anything; I’d really like to avoid buying a whole new sound system.  As much as I love Bose products (have earbuds, 2 aviation headsets, and heck computer speakers that have been solid for me for over 10 years), I can’t really spend another $1000+ right now, and the system seems to run perfectly fine for me still for audio.

Some troubleshooting I’ve identified:

1. X1v4 at 4K 60 Hz works direct from X1 box via HDMI into TV (Removing Bose 130 box from the middle)
  2. BluRay player still works audio and video through Bose 130 into TV via HDMI (it’s a regular BluRay, not an ultra HD new one)
  3. ANY other resolution, including 4K 30 Hz, works from X1 through Bose 130 box into TV with audio and video.  ONLY 4K 60 Hz has audio but no video.  So it seems adding the Bose 130 box in the middle of the chain creates the symptom.
  4. Have tried 4 different HDMI cables in total between these configurations, I don’t believe it’s a cable issue.
  5. Changing HDMI ports on the LG TV seems to have no effect.  HDMI ARC (port 2) and HDMI (port 4).
  6. Resetting activation signal to X1 had no change
  7. Power cycling the X1 gives me a “Welcome” Xfinity screen for a few seconds then reverts to no video (not even the channel guide overlays)
  8. Unplugging all other cables, including power, letting the system “sit” for several hours had no effect
  9. I have other TVs I’ll move boxes to try, but unfortunately not 4K.
  10. Moving the CBL SAT > LG TV HDMI cable to another port (such as BluRay) had no effect
  11. No power surges or anything like that recently that I’m aware of

I hope that information is at least a little descriptive.  I’m open to any suggestions the community may have and am most thankful for any help out there.  Does anyone have any ideas by chance?

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: CineMate 130: Audio only, no video w/ 4K 60 Hz

Hello Av8rkw, 

Welcome to the Bose Community. Thanks for posting.

The Cinemate 130 is HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.4 compliant. The system was released before HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 came into place so the system is not compatible with 4K at 60Hz.

If you are using a system that operates at 4K/60Hz, please connect it directly to the television instead and use audio pass through via the TV to the Bose system via ARC. 

Thanks! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Thank you for the reply.

"...use audio pass through via the TV to the Bose system via ARC. "

How do I do that?  This is where I'm confused, unfortunately.

I now have my 4K/60 Hz cable box connected directly to the TV's HDMI ARC port with an optical cable from the TV to the Bose system.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey. It sounds like you have all of the connections in place to enable audio passthrough via the TV, to the Bose system. You may need to program, or assign, the optical audio input on the CineMate system as a final step. Information on how to do this can be found HERE. Be sure to also change the TV's audio settings, and selecting to output audio via the optical line directly from within your TV's on-screen settings, so that both the TV and CineMate system are outputting/inputting audio together.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Thank you for the instructions.