Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calboston
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2021

Connect Model Bose AV3-2-1 Media Center (no HDMI) to an LG OLED55C9 Television

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose Model  BOSE AV3-2-1 Media Center

Country USA

Detailed description of the issue:

I'd like to use my Bose AV3-2-1 system to connect with my new LG OLED55C9 TV. Ideally, I would like to be able to connect the optical output from my LG TV directly into the Bose AV3-2-1 system so that whatever video source is being selected on the TV would be heard through the Bose system.
I've researched this and can't seem to get any audio to work unless I connect the BOSE audio to my Cox cable box using the analog RCA connectors This does not allow me to use my Roku or Apple TV and get the audio through the Bose AV3-2-1 system.  I connected the Optical cable directly from the TV to the Bose AV3-2-1, but nothing happened - no sound, no audio. I can't see any video menus to adjust any settings. I'm unable to hear any other source than the cable box through the Bose speakers. What can I do to make this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
calboston
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2021

Re: Connect Model Bose AV3-2-1 Media Center (no HDMI) to an LG OLED55C9 Television

Author Accepted Answer selected by calboston

Thank you for your feedback. After reviewing your information, I figured out a quick and easy solution to correct the problem:

First, I made sure that my LG OLED TV optical audio was connected to the optical audio input on my Bose AV3-2-1. From the LG OLED TV's menu, I changed the TV's sound source setting from the default INTERNAL SPEAKERS to INTERNAL SPEAKERS + OPTICAL.

Since my Bose AV3-2-1 does not have an HDMI connection, the video output is not connected to the (HDMI) video on my LG OLED TV and didn't allow me to view the Bose AV3-2-1's on-screen menus. In order to be able to review the Bose AV3-2-1's on-screen menus, I connected a small spare TV using the RCA Video output jack on the Bose AV3-2-1 and connecting it to the TV's RCA video input.

Once I selected the AV source on the TV, I could see the Bose systems on-screen menu. From the menu, I selected SETTINGS, AUDIO SETUP and then AUDIO STATUS. After viewing the AUDIO STATUS menu, I noticed that MUTE was on. I simply turned off MUTE and the sound works perfectly through the LG TV's optical connection. Anything showing on the TV video now goes through the Bose AV3-2-1 media center. Thanks for your feedback!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connect Model Bose AV3-2-1 Media Center (no HDMI) to an LG OLED55C9 Television

@calboston wrote:

Bose Model  BOSE AV3-2-1 Media Center

Country USA

Detailed description of the issue:

I'd like to use my Bose AV3-2-1 system to connect with my new LG OLED55C9 TV. Ideally, I would like to be able to connect the optical output from my LG TV directly into the Bose AV3-2-1 system so that whatever video source is being selected on the TV would be heard through the Bose system.
I've researched this and can't seem to get any audio to work unless I connect the BOSE audio to my Cox cable box using the analog RCA connectors This does not allow me to use my Roku or Apple TV and get the audio through the Bose AV3-2-1 system.  I connected the Optical cable directly from the TV to the Bose AV3-2-1, but nothing happened - no sound, no audio. I can't see any video menus to adjust any settings. I'm unable to hear any other source than the cable box through the Bose speakers. What can I do to make this work?

I created a guide to help people connect their old 321 system to a modern HDTV. There are a few options listed there, so you should be able to find one that works for you.

I hope that helps solve your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

calboston
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2021

Author Accepted Answer selected by calboston

Thank you for your feedback. After reviewing your information, I figured out a quick and easy solution to correct the problem:

First, I made sure that my LG OLED TV optical audio was connected to the optical audio input on my Bose AV3-2-1. From the LG OLED TV's menu, I changed the TV's sound source setting from the default INTERNAL SPEAKERS to INTERNAL SPEAKERS + OPTICAL.

Since my Bose AV3-2-1 does not have an HDMI connection, the video output is not connected to the (HDMI) video on my LG OLED TV and didn't allow me to view the Bose AV3-2-1's on-screen menus. In order to be able to review the Bose AV3-2-1's on-screen menus, I connected a small spare TV using the RCA Video output jack on the Bose AV3-2-1 and connecting it to the TV's RCA video input.

Once I selected the AV source on the TV, I could see the Bose systems on-screen menu. From the menu, I selected SETTINGS, AUDIO SETUP and then AUDIO STATUS. After viewing the AUDIO STATUS menu, I noticed that MUTE was on. I simply turned off MUTE and the sound works perfectly through the LG TV's optical connection. Anything showing on the TV video now goes through the Bose AV3-2-1 media center. Thanks for your feedback!

View solution in original post