Ammo-461
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

Connecting 3-2-1 GS, Series II To Smart TV

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name 3-2-1 GS Series II

Country United States

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I have used the 3-2-1 Series II for many years.  Recently I purchased a Samsung smart TV which has only the following connections.  One optical, one USB, one LAN and two HDMI connections.  No Component Y, Pb and Pr connections are available on the smart TV.  

Is it possible to continue to use my 3-2-1 system with the newer TV with some other type of connections?  I have researched on line for possible solutions with no answers found.  Any assistance would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connecting 3-2-1 GS, Series II To Smart TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by Ammo-461

@Ammo-461 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  You provided a great deal of information but with me not being tech savvy I really could not follow what you provided.  Information overload for my 66 year old mind.  Is it possible to explain my issue in a less complex way concerning only the 3-2-1 Series II unit to a smart tv?   Thank you for input and knowledge.

It's about wires and plugging them into the right connections. If a device doesn't have the right connections you need to use an adapter to convert the signal into something it can use.

If I misunderstood you and you wish to watch a DVD's from your 321 receiver on your new 4K TV, then please read this post. Though watching a DVD on a 4K TV will not look that great.

If you just wish to listen to sound from your TV, then look at Option 1 in the guide I linked to in my previous post. As you can connect all the audio & video to your TV and use the optical out from your TV and plug it into the 321 system.

If you need more help than that, I would either:

1. Ask someone you think might be able to help to read over the guide I provided to do it for you.
  2. Call up Bose tech support so they can walk you through what to do at your own pace.

I hope that helps 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Ammo-461 wrote:

Bose product name 3-2-1 GS Series II

Country United States

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I have used the 3-2-1 Series II for many years.  Recently I purchased a Samsung smart TV which has only the following connections.  One optical, one USB, one LAN and two HDMI connections.  No Component Y, Pb and Pr connections are available on the smart TV.  

Is it possible to continue to use my 3-2-1 system with the newer TV with some other type of connections?  I have researched on line for possible solutions with no answers found.  Any assistance would be great.

I created a guide to help you connect your 321 receiver to a modern HDTV.

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what you ended up doing 🙂

Ammo-461
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

Thank you for the reply.  You provided a great deal of information but with me not being tech savvy I really could not follow what you provided.  Information overload for my 66 year old mind.  Is it possible to explain my issue in a less complex way concerning only the 3-2-1 Series II unit to a smart tv?   Thank you for input and knowledge.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Ammo-461

@Ammo-461 wrote:

It's about wires and plugging them into the right connections. If a device doesn't have the right connections you need to use an adapter to convert the signal into something it can use.

If I misunderstood you and you wish to watch a DVD's from your 321 receiver on your new 4K TV, then please read this post. Though watching a DVD on a 4K TV will not look that great.

If you just wish to listen to sound from your TV, then look at Option 1 in the guide I linked to in my previous post. As you can connect all the audio & video to your TV and use the optical out from your TV and plug it into the 321 system.

If you need more help than that, I would either:

1. Ask someone you think might be able to help to read over the guide I provided to do it for you.
  2. Call up Bose tech support so they can walk you through what to do at your own pace.

I hope that helps 🙂

View solution in original post

Ammo-461
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2021

Thank you for the additional input.  I followed your directions for the optical connection.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Ammo-461 wrote:

Thank you for the additional input.  I followed your directions for the optical connection.

Optical from the TV? That's a very good way to hear everything 🙂

Does your 321 show PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital 5.1 when you listen to surround sound movies (like a Blu-ray player) from your TV?