Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JdSoFar
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 1, 2021

Connecting Bose Lifestyle 48 to Computer

Hello everyone!

I am trying to connect a Bose Lifestyle 48 to my computer in our office, and I'm having trouble receiving 5.1 sound.

Originally I had a 3.5mm to Y-RCA cable connected to the AUX on the back of the media center, but I am only receiving stereo sound spread throughout all of the speakers. When configuring the speakers, I can only get the center and rear speakers to work if I leave them out of the setup as well.

How can I receive 5.1 sound from the computer? I am currently using a GTX 970 with the Display Port being used for the monitor. The motherboard supports up to 7.1, and has an open HDMI port to use.

Thanks you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connecting Bose Lifestyle 48 to Computer

Author Accepted Answer selected by JdSoFar

@JdSoFar wrote:

Thanks again for the detailed explanations, starting to understand what issues I'm running into with this. I am renting an apartment that came with this 5.1 system already setup for a TV in the office, so replacing the receiver is not an option. Just hoping to take advantage of the receiver and speakers with my computer.

My GPU has 1x Display Port and 1x HDMI port. I just read online that I would be able to use the free HDMI port for audio, I'm sure the motherboard HDMI would also work. Running low on ports is not the issue, I was just not sure if I was using the right ports. I now know that was never the root of the problem.

I thought the HDMI switch would require input from the PC (HDMI from the GPU or Motherboard), audio output to the receiver, and then HDMI output to the monitor. Ideally I would just have the monitor connected to my GPU via Display Port, and then an HDMI connection from the computer to the switch, audio output to the receiver, and leave the HDMI output empty. If this would work, then I'm sure the HDMI switch you suggested would work.

If not, then the DAC route might be the best bet, and just connect it to my PC via USB-C. What do you think, or am I still misunderstanding? I have no intention of connecting additional HDMI devices to the receiver, so no need for a multi-port switch.

Simply, you have 3 Audio inputs on that receiver & two of them support surround sound. Digital Coax or Optical.

Whatever you do those are the only 5.1 / 6.1 audio connections the receiver supports. Please read the guide I made to get more information about the audio formats it supports as well.

AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiverAV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiver

All the information is in that guide and I shared with you some links to sound card options here that will work, though I am sure you can find more. 

There isn't really anything else to say.

1. Read the guide and what I posted earlier.
  2. Get Sound from Computer to your AV48 Receiver by either:
    1. Converting HDMI/DisplayPort audio into Digital Coax or Optical
    2. Having a Sound Card which has Digital Coax or Optical outs
  3. Make sure Audio is in Bitstream, Dolby Digital, or DTS.

You now know what the receiver needs to play 5.1 / 6.1 sound. You also now know different ways of getting that from your computer. The rest is up to you 😉

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@JdSoFar wrote:

Hello everyone!

I am trying to connect a Bose Lifestyle 48 to my computer in our office, and I'm having trouble receiving 5.1 sound.

Originally I had a 3.5mm to Y-RCA cable connected to the AUX on the back of the media center, but I am only receiving stereo sound spread throughout all of the speakers. When configuring the speakers, I can only get the center and rear speakers to work if I leave them out of the setup as well.

You will only ever get stereo with stereo RCA cables. You have to use either Digital Coax or Optical to send your AV48 receiver surround sound.

b206562a25ec9382b35fa27a87870fd4.jpg

@JdSoFar wrote:

How can I receive 5.1 sound from the computer? I am currently using a GTX 970 with the Display Port being used for the monitor. The motherboard supports up to 7.1, and has an open HDMI port to use.

Thanks you!

I made a guide that should help as it suggests ways to connect HDTV's and other consumer-based home audio equipment to the AV48 receiver. If you can use HDMI audio, I would suggest you look into Option 3 or if your subwoofer supports it, Option 4.

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

JdSoFar
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 1, 2021

Thank you for the help! Looks like HDMI might be my only hope to have this connected to my PC.

Currently the speakers are connected to the sub, and the sub is connected to the media player. The player is then connected to the amps & a VS-2. 

I then connected an HDMI cord from CBL/SAT Input to my open HDMI on my GPU, but my computer is not detecting the HDMI audio. Sounds like this might be an issue with NVIDIA?

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@JdSoFar wrote:

Thank you for the help! Looks like HDMI might be my only hope to have this connected to my PC.

If you are looking for surround sound, the only way an AV48 will get a 5.1 / 6.1 signal is via Digital Coax or Optical. So unless you have one of those ports on your PC you will have to use HDMI audio and convert it to Digital Coax or Optical as mentioned in Option 3 of the guide I shared.

@JdSoFar wrote:

Currently the speakers are connected to the sub, and the sub is connected to the media player. The player is then connected to the amps & a VS-2. 

You can use a VS-2 if you wish, but for your setup using Option 3 or (if your subwoofer supports it) upgrading the receiver as talked about in Option 4 would be better.

@JdSoFar wrote:

I then connected an HDMI cord from CBL/SAT Input to my open HDMI on my GPU, but my computer is not detecting the HDMI audio. Sounds like this might be an issue with NVIDIA?

That is expected as this is a very old receiver and HDMI Audio is not supported. I talk about that in the guide I linked to, but you can read another post I made on that. That's why I said Option 3 or 4 would work best for you 😉

Read over what I shared as pretty much everything you need is there.

JdSoFar
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 1, 2021

My apologies, I thought the VS-2 was a HDMI switch capable of HDMI audio. Since I am using a Displayport monitor currently with my PC, I'm not sure a HDMI switch would work for my situation. I would need to connect my PC -> HDMI Switch Input, but would have no output for the switch since my monitor is connected to my GPU on my PC. Unless I am misunderstanding the setup for the HDMI Switch.

Thank you again for the help. This has been giving me headache for a few days now.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@JdSoFar wrote:

My apologies, I thought the VS-2 was a HDMI switch capable of HDMI audio.

Remember you are trying to use a receiver that came out before HDMI was released. It only uses the audio sources I mentioned before.

@JdSoFar wrote:

Since I am using a Displayport monitor currently with my PC, I'm not sure a HDMI switch would work for my situation. (..) Unless I am misunderstanding the setup for the HDMI Switch.

Yes, you are. The HDMI switch's job is only to convert HDMI to something the receiver can use. If you never wish to connect any other HDMI devices, you could always get an HDMI to Digital Coax converter

@JdSoFar wrote:

I would need to connect my PC -> HDMI Switch Input, but would have no output for the switch since my monitor is connected to my GPU on my PC.

Display Port is designed for modern computers and something not too well supported out there. You might want to look into a Displayport to HDMI adapter.

You also said, "The motherboard supports up to 7.1, and has an open HDMI port to use."

Why don't you use that? If your computer can output video/audio simultaneously then you won't have to worry about changing your monitors connection as the audio will be sent to the switch.

@JdSoFar wrote:

Thank you again for the help. This has been giving me headache for a few days now.

You're not using regular audio cables which this receiver needs to work. You need to either convert what you already have in your computer or add a sound card that has Digital Coax/Optical outs.

This receiver does not do what you want, but you can make it work if you are willing to send it the audio it needs to work.

Some people can upgrade their receiver. It is helpful If you want something wish supports lossless HDMI audio. You will have to look into Option 4 in the guide, but know it does not support 4K.

JdSoFar
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 1, 2021

Thanks again for the detailed explanations, starting to understand what issues I'm running into with this. I am renting an apartment that came with this 5.1 system already setup for a TV in the office, so replacing the receiver is not an option. Just hoping to take advantage of the receiver and speakers with my computer.

My GPU has 1x Display Port and 1x HDMI port. I just read online that I would be able to use the free HDMI port for audio, I'm sure the motherboard HDMI would also work. Running low on ports is not the issue, I was just not sure if I was using the right ports. I now know that was never the root of the problem.

I thought the HDMI switch would require input from the PC (HDMI from the GPU or Motherboard), audio output to the receiver, and then HDMI output to the monitor. Ideally I would just have the monitor connected to my GPU via Display Port, and then an HDMI connection from the computer to the switch, audio output to the receiver, and leave the HDMI output empty. If this would work, then I'm sure the HDMI switch you suggested would work.

If not, then the DAC route might be the best bet, and just connect it to my PC via USB-C. What do you think, or am I still misunderstanding? I have no intention of connecting additional HDMI devices to the receiver, so no need for a multi-port switch.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by JdSoFar

@JdSoFar wrote:

Simply, you have 3 Audio inputs on that receiver & two of them support surround sound. Digital Coax or Optical.

Whatever you do those are the only 5.1 / 6.1 audio connections the receiver supports. Please read the guide I made to get more information about the audio formats it supports as well.

AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiverAV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiver

All the information is in that guide and I shared with you some links to sound card options here that will work, though I am sure you can find more. 

There isn't really anything else to say.

1. Read the guide and what I posted earlier.
  2. Get Sound from Computer to your AV48 Receiver by either:
    1. Converting HDMI/DisplayPort audio into Digital Coax or Optical
    2. Having a Sound Card which has Digital Coax or Optical outs
  3. Make sure Audio is in Bitstream, Dolby Digital, or DTS.

You now know what the receiver needs to play 5.1 / 6.1 sound. You also now know different ways of getting that from your computer. The rest is up to you 😉

View solution in original post