Highlighted
impoid
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Connecting Lifestyle 650 to a TV that does not have ARC

Greetings folks! My new Lifestyle 650 should arrive on Monday, so I'll know the answer to this question in a few days, but... my current TV does not have an HDMI-ARC input (it only has HDMI-STB and HDMI-DVI). Will this be a problem?

My goal isn't to get sound out of the TV (I'm fine if it's totally muted, as I'd rather hear the Bose in all its glory). So... will the Lifestyle 650 work with a TV that has HDMI but not ARC? I assume I'd use the DVI and not the STB, correct?

(Next project is a new TV, of course... hoping to wait until Black Friday specials if possible, but if there is no way for the Lifestyle 650 system to work at all without an ARC input into the TV, then I'd rather know now so I can start shopping).

Thank you!!

5 REPLIES 5
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Connecting Lifestyle 650 to a TV that does not have ARC

For your TV to send sound out to the Bose, you would need HDMI ARC which is a two-way signal.  You will need to use optical out from your TV to the Bose system.  Optical out is one-way, sound only, from your TV to your Bose.  You will not be able to use the CEC features with optical, but your TV probably does not support CEC anyway.

impoid
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Cool, thanks for your reply! My goal isn't to get sound from the TV into the Bose; rather, I only want to use the TV for video from the Bose, and use various inputs into Bose for the audio. Put another way, I plan to connect the cable box into Bose, Apple TV into Bose, Blu-Ray into Bose, Switch/XBox into Bose, etc. and then send the video from the Bose into the TV. So... I'll be OK with this plan?

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

OK, in that case, you're simply sending video from the Bose to your TV.  You can do that with HDMI out of the Bose to HDMI in on your TV.  Now, I think the HDMI out of the Bose is going to be HDMI ARC.  If it is, I am not certain you can connect that to a regular HDMI on your TV or not.  I'm pretty sure you can, but not certain.

impoid
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Cool, thanks again! Fingers crossed 🤞

impoid
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 5, 2019

Greetings again! Just a quick update -- the new system is great, and setup was quite straightforward. Turns out I didn't need to have HDMI-ARC input into the TV (a Samsung 55" from 2015) and everything works well. So... good news to those ARCless among us, it's all good!

Plus, I love how I can connect the Lifestyle 650 device into SmartThings (works great) and then into Alexa as a smart home device; I can now turn on and off the system from anywhere via, "Alexa, turn on/off Bose Lifestyle" -- works very well. Anyway, super happy thus far.