Connecting a mixer to my bose home entertanment system

Silent Starter

Connecting a mixer to my bose home entertanment system

I've got an existing Bose AV48 media center and i want to connect my mixer to it. When the mixer is connected directly into the media center via the AUX port it results in a split second delay in the sound. just enough to totaly muck the musician up!

what's the best way to connect a music mixer to the media center?

7 REPLIES
Quiet Contributor

Re: Connecting a mixer to my bose home entertanment system

Hi,

What mixer are you using? and What connections do your AV unit and mixer have in common? For example, could you use Phono instead?

Further to this, what kind of usage are you trying to get from the system? There may be a better way of doing this altogether.

Let me know and I will help as best I can.

A.

Highlighted
Silent Starter

Hello A,

the mixer is a Samson MXP124FX. thanks for your help

VP

Quiet Contributor

Hi, 

What other outputs does the media centre have? Could you try connecting with Phono rather than the AUX? Could you also please give a bit more context to the usage of this?

Are you sending multiple outputs from the Media Center? Are you using it for live performances?

A.

Silent Starter

Morning A,

this is used for live preformances hence the issue wit h the slight delay. we have tried all the plugs into the media center and get the same results with each. is it possible to bypass the media center and go straight into the base? for this to happen i'd need to find a lead which goes from a 9 pin mini din, to a computer connection. i've been hunting but cannot find anything like that.

thanks for your help.

VP

Quiet Contributor

Hiya,

Okay so just to 100% clarify.

You want to use the Media Center as a CD player? and You want this to be plugged into the mixer without any latency?

OR are you using the bose to amplify the speakers? Im struggling to understand why you would use an AV System in a live environment? Please can you be as detailed as possible when describing this?

What other devices are you running through the mixer? More to the point, why does the slight delay cause an issue? If you are using other pre-recorded material through the mixer then i understand your frustration.

The reason for your delay could be just becasue the Bose is not designed to be used in live situations. It probably is built for user friendlyness as well as keeping the volume down by not keeping the disk spinning. This would result in the slight delay to start the song.

I would suggest looking into a TASCAM or Denon or similiar CD player. Alternatively, move digital and store all your CD media on an iPad/Phone and play back directly through the mixer?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree and you mean Signal Delay (FX?)

Silent Starter

Hello A,

this mixer will only have a guitar and piano running through it. i realise that the system is not usually used to anplify instruments. THe system is set right through our house so instead of getting separte amps etc i want to play the instruments through the installed speakers. does that make sense?

at the moment when i strum the guitar, the speakers are slightly slow which gets a bit disconcerting!!

if i could completly bypass the media center, and use it's speakers that would be excellent....

VP

i'm not interested in CD's etc, the system plays recorded music well already via bluetooth etc.

Quiet Contributor

Hi, 

Right. Fully understand what you are trying to do now, I understand the frustration. 

My suggestion to get around this;

Find a DSP Zone Player that allows you to have control over multipe outputs. Something such as this. This would allow you to connect the outputs of your mixer to the inputs of the DSP. Then from here, you can send the outputs to amplifiers, and then connect each speaker to the output of an amplfier. By running each speaker/room through a different channel on the amplifier, it gives you control over the volume in each room. 

This would remove the issue of latency as well as giving you a more versatile system. 

If you can provide me with the Wattage and Impedance of each of the speakers and their connections, I will look around for an amplifier for you. 

A.