Connecting an Lifestyle AV35 to SA-2 external amplifier

Highlighted
DsW
Quiet Contributor

Connecting an Lifestyle AV35 to SA-2 external amplifier

I have a Lifestyle AV35 home theater system with sound bar and wireless woofer. It has been working well for a number of years. I moved to a new location and would like to hook it up to some external speakers. I purchased a SA-2 amplifier on Ebay with power and Boselink cables. It is all connected per the "manual" and it powers up. The LED on the SA-2 indicates it is in standby mode, flashing slowly. The AV35 and SA-2 just won't connect. I have tried the switches in all settings. 

My questions is, will this ever work?  Will these two ever talk or did I just get a bad SA-2 from Ebay? Any thoughts on troubleshooting or fixes before I send the SA-2 back? Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Connecting an Lifestyle AV35 to SA-2 external amplifier

Hello DsW, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

To use the SA-2 with your system, please check that your room codes and house codes match. Do you have a Personal Music Center remote control with the SA-2?

There is no reason why this setup shouldn't work, we just need to make sure that you have the right equipment. 

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

DsW
Quiet Contributor

The SA-2 only has a 5 switch set. It is set C down for - "Single Amp" the room switches are set to Up-Up-Up-Dwn for room "O". That is largely meaningless as I do not have Personal Music Center remote to coordinate room numbers with.

I do not see much info on the Lifestyle AV35 with soundbar. I can't get any support or firmware updates from the Bose site as it does not even recognize the model or serial numbers.

I don't know if it talks the right protocol to talk to the SA-2 and how to test to see what may be working or not. I did see some comments on the web about the SA-2 refusing to come out of standby because the inputs are blown out (a common failure mode?). Is this likely (since this is a used unit from Ebay)?

Hello DsW,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

You will need a Personal Music Center in order to make this work! We do not manufacture these anymore, however, I would recommend looking into second hands parts. 

It is very possible that there may be a fault with the system as it is a used unit, but we would not know without having the remote. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

DsW
Quiet Contributor

I obtained a RC48S2-27 remote control. It just says "No signal from media center" and does nothing. I have rried different house codes and room codes but I can't get them to talk. Any ideas??

Hello DsW, 

It's great to hear that you managed to track down a PMC II remote. It takes a little fiddling to associate the remote to communicate. I am going to run through the steps you need to take. Apologies if this is lengthy.

To start you will need the Room Code Chart

room code chart v35.PNG

Firstly, we need to set the expansion product settings for the SA-2.

1. Set switches 6, 7, 8 and 9 to the desired Room Code. The default setting is room B - 9 up and 6, 7 and 8 down

Then we need to set the PMC II Remote settings:

1. Press the Setup button on the Personal Music Center II
  2. Use the Toggle button to highlight the Room Code option. Press the right arrow button
  3. Highlight the Room Code that matches the room code of the expansion product and press the Toggle button to select it
  4. Highlight the Audio Stream option and press the right arrow button
  5. Highlight the Audio Stream "2" and press the Toggle button to select it
  6. Be sure House Code setting matches the position of switches 1-4 under the battery cover on the main room remote
  7. Press the left arrow button to exit the Setup menu

Note: If any switch settings are changed, the power and Bose link connection to the amplifier must be disconnected for two minutes to allow the changes to take effect. 

I hope this is as clear as possible. Here also is a document with instructions. Go to page 40 to set up a second room with sound. 

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

DsW
Quiet Contributor

Charlotte,

Thank you for your help but I'm still not running. I cannot seem to get the PMC remote to talk to the AV35 Lifestyle system. The AV35 with Soundbar seems to have been a system with a short sales life and I cannot find much about it. It does not seems to have a "house code" setting. and the RC-X35L remote that came with it does not seem to have any settings at all (but it works).

The SA-2 just sits there in standby mode waiting for someone to tell him to turn on. The Boselink cable A seems fine and I have tried powering off and dosconnecting for several minutes and back on.The AV35 system is still running fine. The PMC remote allows setting of house and room codes. The room codes on the SA-2 and PMC remote match ("B"). I set the house code on the PMC remote to 15 (I read somewhere that the Lifetyle default house code is 15, though I have tried others). There doesn't seem to be a way to check or change the house code on the AV35 system. The PMC remote just says "No signal from media center". Any other suggestions?

Hello DsW, 

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Before moving forward, I wanted to confirm, the RC48S2-27 is designed for use in North America. The 27 is the indicator of the frequency the remote is operating on, in this case, 27Mhz.  If you are in Europe for instance, you will need a 40Mhz version which is the RC48S2-40.

Your system is set to house code 15 at the factory. To see the house code, select "Homewide" in the UNIFY menu and then select house code. On the screen, you will see the house code and a representation of how the second room remote control switches should be set to match the house code in the control console.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

DsW
Quiet Contributor

Thank YOU for getting back to me. 

Yes, I am in the US and 27mhz should be fine.

My AV35 does not have a "Homewide" option in the UNIFY menu. It's wierd, it matches most but not all of the documentation I have seen on the web. Not all options are in the menus. And when I try to go to firmware update for the console on the web, it cannot find the model or serial number and therefore, there is no firmware to download.

Hello DsW, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

You made reference to homewide not being found on the Unify menu. Can you kindly check the back of the system console, towards the far right, there are is a port under power that says Audio OUT, then directly to the right is a small jack-type input. Does this port say "Homewide Antenna"? or is it blank? 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G