Sam_F

Re: Connecting the Lifestyle v35 to a 4k TV

Hi @Mactony007,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

Your Lifestyle v35 will be able to support Uncompressed PCM 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby TrueHD. When you connect with optical, you'll likely have the option to choose Uncompressed PCM 5.1 which will offer the best quality of audio for your set up. To ensure this is enabled, you'll have to go into the audio settings on your 4K TV, look in the audio settings and check that under audio format PCM has been selected.

Let me know if you have any issues going about this!

Warm regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Allen M
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2020

So I did all of the steps and still the same issue.  Sound from watching TV works through the system but when I go to any of the apps like Netflix or any apps, still get the sound from what I was watching on the TV but no sound from what is running like Netflix.  checked the optical cable and it has light and even when I unplugged it from the Bose system, it told me to reconnect it, so it is seeing it but no sound.  selected optical on the TV as well, same thing.

Chris822
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

I had the same trouble. 
My other issue we had is the v35 will only support 1080 not 4K.  We paid for a local sound person to set ours up & by going through the Bose & using the optical cable, our picture would “stutter”. Now that we disconnected the  Bose it doesn’t do that. 
For all the money we paid, there should be a patch or something that allows the V35 to keep up with technology. 
Currentlt, we have our V35 completely disconnected & are considering purchasing a sound bar just for 4K tv’s. 

Rjfitness
Participant
Registered since

Feb 17, 2020

Can’t get 4K tv to work with 4K I fit your box and v35 - very upset

Allen M
Participant
Registered since

Jan 24, 2020

you should call Bose, they helped me.

yuyun
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

I have the same problem. Bose should update the software on the AV35. 

DavidGibson57
Participant
Registered since

Oct 20, 2020

I have a Bose lifestyle V35 which I wish to connect to a new Lg Web OS TV OLED 48CX486LB

i have fitted an optical cable as well as HDMI link and tried the advice given in this thread but have hit two blocks . One is that my Bose remote does not respond to the step where you press ok and then press down ,this does not seem to work. The other is that the TV set up system recognizes the Bose at the HDMI link and reflects the serial no etc of the console but I cannot move beyond this step on the TV set up as it gives a warning that the base unit is either not powered up or not connected to the console. Having checked both issues a number of times the power and connection appear to be functional .Would appreciate your advice please.

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Chris822 wrote:

the v35 will only support 1080 not 4K.  (..)
For all the money we paid, there should be a patch or something that allows the V35 to keep up with technology. 

@Rjfitness wrote:

Can’t get 4K tv to work with 4K I fit your box and v35 - very upset

@yuyun wrote:

I have the same problem. Bose should update the software on the AV35. 

The Lifestyle V35 maxes out at 1080p using HDMI 1.4b. It cannot be upgraded to support 4k using HDMI 2.1 as that is a hardware difference, not a software one.

Reasons:

1. Before 4k: This is unsurprising as it appears the receiver was released in 2010 and 4K did not exist then. 
  2. 1080p Specs: It appears that some HDMI cables are not compatible with 4K, and that's just a wire with two plugs (this is mainly due to bandwidth requirements). Imagine what it's like when you have GPU's and various other chips involved that need to decode and reencode a video/audio signals for a format that it was not designed to work with; well outside its specs. This receiver is essentially a 1080p HDMI decoder/repeater/switch. 
  3. Encryption: Even if (somehow) the system was capable of processing a 4K video signal using HDMI 2.0. Most 4k devices incorporate a new encryption method called HDCP 2.2. This was supposedly created to reduce piracy and is not backwards compatible with TV's or receivers that support encryption using HDCP 2.1 or earlier.
    1. "Remember, HDCP 2.2 is not something that can be added by a software update. If your TV doesn’t have it, it never will.
    2. "Some of the earliest 4K TVs from 2013 lacked support for HDCP 2.2. Worse, they couldn't be upgraded because HDCP 2.2 requires a hardware update — it’s not fixable with a firmware update. (..) If you run your HDMI connection through a home theater receiver or sound bar, it’ll need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant, as well. Any device in the chain that prevents the HDCP digital handshake from happening will prevent you from seeing a 4K image."

Will you get upset when you purchase your new 8K TV and discover your 4K devices don't output in 8K? In a world where cellphones become outdated within a few years, this should not be that surprising. 

Now you know that 4K is a hardware difference and it is not software upgradeable.

You cannot purchase a new receiver from Bose as their new systems use a wireless bass that is incompatible with the current one you have.

This does not mean you have no solutions though and you can still use your system.

p.s. to others reading: if you have a Lifestyle CD system, a Lifestyle/321 DVD system, a Lifestyle system with an MC1 receiver, or a Cincemate/SoundTouch system please follow those links for instructions on how to connect them to a modern HDTV. 

@Mactony007 wrote:

Connecting 4k tv to Lifestyle v35 with optical cable, will you still get the maximum clear sound from the bose speaker?

If you do wish to watch 4K content on your 4K TV using your Lifestyle system, you might have to rewire your current setup or purchase some equipment to make this work.

61xZlQGXpwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
AV35

61AWJ3Rra8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
AV20

I would like to point out what cables can support what formats:

• RCA - Stereo (aka PCM/LPCM 2.0)
  • Digital Coax/SPDIF & TOSLink/Optical (as does HDMI ARC) - PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, & DTS 5.1
  • HDMI - All above & Uncompressed Audio (aka LPCM 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DTS Master Audio 5.1, etc.)

Both systems mentioned support PCM 2.0Dolby DigitalDolby TrueHDDTSDTS Master Audio "core", and LPCM. DTS Master Audio Core means that it will only playback an embedded regular DTS signalSo to get the best audio quality I would change all audio setting on your 3rd party devices to LPCM, or if your device allows, Bitstream for Dolby and LPCM for DTS.

This way you can listen to lossless DTS-HD Master Audio and anything else (aside from 3D positioning on Atmos/DTS:X) supported by your 3rd party device via LPCM without losing any sound quality.

Bose Lifestyle AV20-AV35 Audio format support.png

Before I continue, I would probably purchase a harmony remote or something similar that can control the system and everything else connected (just wait for a sale as I did on Black Friday). Though you can use it with the included HDMI switch remote to change sources.

Option 0. Keep everything at 1080p:

Now a simple solution would be to watch everything at 1080p and not 4K. You won't have to change anything.

The advantage is you won't have to re-wire anything or purchase any adapters, you will still get uncompressed audio (if your devices provide it), and you can still use the Bose remote as you always have.

Know that doing this, you will sacrifice the ability to watch 4K content on your 4K TV. 

Option 1. Connect everything to the TV:

This is the simplest solution. Sadly, this Lifestyle system does not support ARC or eARC so you would have to use the optical out of your TV to your Lifestyle system. The problem with that is optical cables only send PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, or DTS 5.1. They cannot send uncompressed audio formats to the Lifestyle system.

Not only that but a lot of TV's do not output 5.1 for HDMI sources connected to them only PCM 2.0 (be aware that sometimes internal TV sources like apps do output 5.1). So, before you do anything test and see if your TV outputs 5.1 or 2.0 using optic and a source you know outputs 5.1 via HDMI (just know that YouTube still does not support 5.1 as every audio source there is still standard 2.0. Even the 5.1 audio test mixes, if you download them onto a computer and check the media info, they are still 2.0. Even the original series that they have to offer there are in stereo).

If you don't care about uncompressed audio & your TV outputs 5.1 you might just want to keep it as it is, but there are better solutions. 

If your TV only has an HDMI ARC out, then you will need to use one of the following options.

Option 2. Send Video to the TV and Audio directly to your Lifestyle system:

Some devices support two HDMI outs like this 4K BluRay player. This is a great solution as it will ensure you get full 4k video going to your TV and uncompressed audio going to your Lifestyle system. That is if your source supports them.

ubd-k8500_ports.jpg

Most cable & satellite boxes do not support uncompressed audio for their TV channels. So, HDMI might not be required for uncompressed audio so Digital Coax/SPDIF & TOSLink/Optical would work just fine. The image below this might be a great way to connect everything to your TV. I should mention there is a chance that some apps built into your cable/satellite box might output uncompressed audio, yet you could use your Blu-Ray players' apps for that.

If you are like me and your TV does not output 5.1 but only 2.0 then connect your 4k video to the TV and send the SPDIF/Optical cable to your Lifestyle system.

cable_box_digital_rear.jpg

This is why a universal remote like what I mentioned earlier would make using your system with this type of setup a lot easier.

Option 3. Get an HDMI switch with 2 HDMI outs:

I found a few HDMI switches with 2 HDMI outs that support 4k @ 60hz. I have not personally tested any of these. 

Using this setup will still give you the full 5.1 surround experience you are used to as this is what your Lifestyle AV20 / AV35 system is capable of supporting & allow for 4K on your TV.

This HDMI 4x2 switch features 4 HDMI in's and 2 HDMI outs

• Connect your HDMI devices to the HDMI in's on the switch
    • If you need more than 4 ports there are other switches out there
  • The TV & Lifestyle
    • Connect "Out A" HDMI ARC to your TV's ARC HDMI port.
      • ARC is a special HDMI port that will send the TV's audio to your Lifestyle
    • Connect "Out B" HDMI Audio Only to the Lifestyle

51jcNbIbTlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

If this specific switch is currently sold out, I have found a couple of alternatives.

If you want a different HDMI switch please keep a few things in mind:

1. You need a switch with an HDMI Audio Only port.
    1. I do not know if you can connect in a 4k source and have it send 4k video to the TV and if the audio will still go to the Lifestyle system or if the 4k source will make the system not recognise the signal. 
  2. Avoid Matrix switches. They allow you to send out different audio/video sources and could make using it a pain.
    1. XOLORspace calls itself a "matrix switch". I believe this is for branding reasons as it doesn't include Matrix features.
  3. It looks like the 4x2 HDMI switches with "HDMI Audio Only" are quite often listed as an HDMI 4x1 switch. This is because the HDMI audio-only port isn't counted as a full HDMI out.

If you already have a switch you wish to use, you could get an HDMI Splitter that features an HDMI Audio only port: 

Option 4. Bose Dealer Upgrade:

I found this place that is offering to upgrade older Lifestyle systems to the Lifestyle 600, what's great about this is that system supports 4K. They briefly wrote about it here.

WB South Trade-In.png

They say they are a Bose Authorised dealer, so I'm guessing that's how they can do this. If they are not local to you, I would find the nearest Bose dealer and ask them if they can do the same.

Option 5. Another system:

If the above solutions don't work for you. You might wish to replace your system with a 3rd party receiver-based system, knowing you can upgrade that receiver with any consumer-ready one in the future. If that is true, a new Acoustimass 10 series V plus a new receiver might be exactly what you are looking for.

Or possibly a SoundBar to would be a better alternative to your existing Lifestyle system. Something like the SoundBar 700 with the sub and rears. I will point out it is best to use the SoundBar 700 with a new TV that supports eARC to guarantee that you get the best experience possible

I hope that solves your problem, and please let me know what you end up doing 🙂

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@DavidGibson57 wrote:

One is that my Bose remote does not respond to the step where you press ok and then press down ,this does not seem to work.

It seems to me that you need to ensure that the batteries are working and if they are I think you need to pair the remote to the system.

@DavidGibson57 wrote:

The other is that the TV set up system recognizes the Bose at the HDMI link and reflects the serial no etc of the console but I cannot move beyond this step on the TV set up as it gives a warning that the base unit is either not powered up or not connected to the console. Having checked both issues a number of times the power and connection appear to be functional .Would appreciate your advice please.

This could be the cable is unplugged on one or both ends, the port on the back of the system or the sub is damaged, the sub isn't powered, or the cable itself is damaged. I think you will have to call up Bose and talk to them directly to help you with this.

Jammo1
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

can I just connect my IQ4 box directly to TV HDMI and also leave Bose connected to other HDMI input on TV - so I'll hear sound of Bose speakers and 4KTV from new IQ4