NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connecting the Lifestyle v35 to a 4k TV

@Jammo1 wrote:

can I just connect my IQ4 box directly to TV HDMI and also leave Bose connected to other HDMI input on TV - so I'll hear sound of Bose speakers and 4KTV from new IQ4

Remember your AV35 receiver does not support ARC, so it will have to be optical out and a lot of TV's out there will only output stereo sound to your soundbar. It'll work but the surround-sound effects it's supposed to give off won't be as good.

Try it out, see what happens. You have the answers to what does what in that post, but only you can tell us what worked for your particular system and setup.

Jammo1
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

Thank you - currently I have my IQ3 plugged into Bose Lifestyle 135 and Bose output directly into 4KTV HDMI - ARC - all works well - just not 4 K but looks good

Sound is 5.1 and fantastic - is it worth rewiring everything just for 4k?

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Jammo1 wrote:

Thank you - currently I have my IQ3 plugged into Bose Lifestyle 135 and Bose output directly into 4KTV HDMI - ARC - all works well - just not 4 K but looks good

Are you saying you're getting sound from the TV via ARC? Because the AV35/135 system does not support ARC.

You are not missing anything here. The AV-35 console on your system does not support HDMI ARC. To transmit audio from the TV's built-in streaming sources (such as Netflix) you would need to have another cable connected to the system as an audio return.
It is important to note that the Lifestyle 135 system does not have HDMI ARC capability.

Are you sure your system is a Lifestyle 135 using the AV35 receiver? Are you only getting Video from the HDMI ARC port? Because that would make sense.

@Jammo1 wrote:

As for if it's worth it or not, that's a decision that's for you to make.

I say read what I wrote in that post. I briefly mention that you could keep things the same in "Option 0". I would also look at the HDMI switch I talked about in "Option 3" that allows you to have the best sound and image your receiver can give you. Almost everything you've asked is covered in that post. 

Jammo1
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

I have lifestyle 135 - I am hearing audio from Bose sounder - that is TV chapel audio, cable TV - iQ3 etc - not interested in hearing audio from TV speakers to hear netflix

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Jammo1 wrote:

I have lifestyle 135 - I am hearing audio from Bose sounder - that is TV chapel audio, cable TV - iQ3 etc - not interested in hearing audio from TV speakers to hear netflix

Ok, so you do not have ARC features, good to know. 

Then read through the earlier post and figure out what you want to do. I'll leave you to it 🙂

Jammo1
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2020

Ok - What Bose system can I buy which is 4K - is there a fix? No more shops now so I have to rely on Bose direct to help

EC88
Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2020

Hope this will help anyone.

I have Bose lifestyle V35 and recently bought Samsung QLED QA65Q95TAKXXS. This particular 4k TV has an individual tv box. 

1) You have to remove all HDMI wire devices (xbox, DVD, multimedia players, etc) that are connected  to your Bose system

2) Re-connect all the HDMI wire devices (xbox, DVD, multimedia players, etc) directly to your TV box (in this case is the Samsung tv box)

3) Use optical cable to plug into the Bose V35 "Optical TV Audio IN" and Samsung TV box "Digital Audio Out" (see attachment)

4) MAKE SURE go to your Samsung / any 4k TV settings and change to "Optical". With other TVs, make sure its not TV speakers.

You should be able to hear sound from your Bose system now.

The problem here is you can no longer use your Bose controller as a multi controller to change channels or devices, you can only turn ON/OFF Bose system and control sound.

Optic INOptic INOptic OUTOptic OUT

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@EC88 wrote:

Hope this will help anyone.

I have Bose lifestyle V35 and recently bought Samsung QLED QA65Q95TAKXXS. This particular 4k TV has an individual tv box. 

1) You have to remove all HDMI wire devices (xbox, DVD, multimedia players, etc) that are connected  to your Bose system

2) Re-connect all the HDMI wire devices (xbox, DVD, multimedia players, etc) directly to your TV box (in this case is the Samsung tv box)

3) Use optical cable to plug into the Bose V35 "Optical TV Audio IN" and Samsung TV box "Digital Audio Out" (see attachment)

4) MAKE SURE go to your Samsung / any 4k TV settings and change to "Optical". With other TVs, make sure its not TV speakers.

You should be able to hear sound from your Bose system now.

The problem here is you can no longer use your Bose controller as a multi controller to change channels or devices, you can only turn ON/OFF Bose system and control sound.

So you went with Option 1. That will most certainly work, but that is not the best solution as you have now limited everything to, at best, sending standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Though for some they will only ever get stereo sound sent to the TV and never lossless sound or other formats the receiver can playback.

hdmi-vs-optical-coaxial.png

Option 3 listed in the guide is still the best way to guarantee that you'll get the best sound quality possible for your AV35 receiver 🙂

skyblue5392
Participant
Registered since

Feb 23, 2021

Hi there I had the same problem I read a few different answers none seemed to completely work for me.

What I did was connected the Bose to the cable box which gave me surround for the TV then I bought a DVD player for $25.00 that had HDMI and regular red and white audio.

Connected the HDMI to the TV and the audio cables to the Bose

DVD is in surround sound now.

I know it means you can't use the Bose DVD but it works great.

NeonsNight
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@skyblue5392 wrote:

Hi there I had the same problem I read a few different answers none seemed to completely work for me.

What I did was connected the Bose to the cable box which gave me surround for the TV then I bought a DVD player for $25.00 that had HDMI and regular red and white audio.

Connected the HDMI to the TV and the audio cables to the Bose

DVD is in surround sound now.

I know it means you can't use the Bose DVD but it works great.

Why have a surround sound system with 5 speakers and a subwoofer if you're only sending it stereo sound? The Red and White cables can only send stereo sound after all.

b206562a25ec9382b35fa27a87870fd4.jpg

Also, do you have a Lifestyle V35 or a Lifestyle 35? They are two different systems as the V35 has HDMI connections and the 35 does not but has a built-in DVD player.

• If you have the Lifestyle V35 you should look at the instructions here to see the best ways to connect it to your system.
  • If you have the Lifestyle 35 you should look at the instructions here to see the best ways to connect it to your system.

I hope that this helps you get the best audio for your system 🙂