Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ct2211
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Connecting the Lifestyle v35 to a 4k TV

I'm getting a new 4K TV. I want to see 4K content on the TV and use the Bose V35 for the sound. It was suggested to go from my Xfinity cable box to the TV with HDMI and from the TV optical out to the Optical in on the Bose V35. Will this work? I could go from opitical out on the cable box to the Bose, but I probably would not get any audio out of the V35 if using any apps on the new TV.  Also should I to go into unify before setting up the new TV  to set for optical sound? The reason I ask this, is once I go from the cable box to the TV for Video content, I will not be able to see the V35 setup menu on the TV. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connecting the Lifestyle v35 to a 4k TV

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

@Chris822 wrote:

the v35 will only support 1080 not 4K.  (..)
For all the money we paid, there should be a patch or something that allows the V35 to keep up with technology. 

@Rjfitness wrote:

Can’t get 4K tv to work with 4K I fit your box and v35 - very upset

@yuyun wrote:

I have the same problem. Bose should update the software on the AV35. 

Why don't 1080p receivers support 4K:

The Lifestyle V35 maxes out at 1080p using HDMI 1.4b. It cannot be upgraded to support 4k using HDMI 2.1 as that is a hardware difference, not a software one.

Reasons:

1. Before 4k: This is unsurprising as the receiver was released in 2010 & 4K did not exist then. 
  2. 1080p Specs: It appears that some HDMI cables are not compatible with 4K, & that's just a wire with two plugs (this is mainly due to bandwidth requirements). Imagine what it's like when you have GPU's & various other chips involved that need to decode & reencode video/audio signals for a format that it was not designed to work with; well outside its specs. This receiver is essentially a 1080p HDMI decoder/repeater/switch. 
  3. Encryption: Even if (somehow) the system was capable of processing a 4K video signal using HDMI 2.0. Most 4k devices incorporate a new encryption method called HDCP 2.2. This was supposedly created to reduce piracy & is not backwards compatible with TV's or receivers that support encryption using HDCP 2.1 or earlier.
    1. "Remember, HDCP 2.2 is not something that can be added by a software update. If your TV doesn’t have it, it never will.
    2. "Some of the earliest 4K TVs from 2013 lacked support for HDCP 2.2. Worse, they couldn't be upgraded because HDCP 2.2 requires a hardware update — it’s not fixable with a firmware update. (..) If you run your HDMI connection through a home theater receiver or sound bar, it’ll need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant, as well. Any device in the chain that prevents the HDCP digital handshake from happening will prevent you from seeing a 4K image."

Will you get upset when you purchase your new 8K TV & discover your 4K devices don't output in 8K? In a world where cellphones become outdated within a few years, this should not be that surprising. 

Now you know that 4K is a hardware difference & it is not software upgradeable.

You cannot purchase a new receiver from Bose as their new systems use a wireless bass that is incompatible with the current one you have.

This does not mean you have no solutions though & you can still use your system.

@Mactony007 wrote:

Connecting 4k tv to Lifestyle v35 with optical cable, will you still get the maximum clear sound from the bose speaker?

There are many ways to connect an AV35 to your TV, though depending on your source, using Optical from your TV will not guarantee that you get the best sound (briefly gone over in "Audio Format Support" & "Option 1"). I have made a guide below showing you all the ways you can connect your audio/video equipment to your receiver.

If you want the best solution to send 4K to your TV and to send the best sound to your AV35 receiver, I would look at "Option 3".

p.s. to others reading: if you have a Lifestyle CD system, a Lifestyle/321 DVD system, a Lifestyle system with an MC1 receiver, or a Cincemate/SoundTouch system please follow those links for instructions on how to connect them to a modern HDTV. 

Universal Remote:

Before I continue, I would probably purchase a harmony remote or something similar that can control the system & everything else connected (there have been Black Friday sales in the past)

Receiver Audio/Video connections:

The AV20/AV35 receiver maxes out at 1080p and does not support 4K, ARC, or CEC (If you don't know what ARC & CEC means, ARC allows for HDMI to send sound from a TV to a receiver. CEC allows you to send commands like change channel, power, etc via an HDMI cable)

So, if you do wish to watch 4K content on your 4K TV using your Lifestyle system. you will have to rewire your current setup or purchase some equipment to make this work. 

The difference between an AV20 & AV35 receiver.AV35 receiverAV35 receiver
AV20 receiverAV20 receiver

Audio Format Support:

I would like to point out what cables can support what formats:

• RCA - Stereo (aka PCM/LPCM 2.0)
  • Digital Coax/SPDIF & TOSLink/Optical (as does HDMI ARC) - PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, & DTS 5.1
  • Regular HDMI - All above & Uncompressed Audio (aka LPCM 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DTS Master Audio 5.1, etc.)

Both systems mentioned support PCM 2.0, DTS, Dolby DigitalDolby TrueHD, & LPCMSo to get the best audio quality I would change all audio settings on your 3rd party devices to LPCM

This way you can listen to Dolby Digital Plus, lossless DTS-HD Master Audio & anything else (aside from 3D positioning on Atmos/DTS:X) supported by your 3rd party device via LPCM without losing any sound quality.

You may see people say that the receivers support DTS Master Audio "core"DTS Master Audio Core means that it will only playback an embedded regular DTS signal

04.2 Bose Lifestyle AV20-AV35 Audio format support.png

Option 0. Keep everything at 1080p:

Now a simple solution would be to watch everything at 1080p & not 4K. You won't have to change anything.

The advantage is you won't have to re-wire anything or purchase any adapters, you will still get uncompressed audio (if your devices provide it), & you can still use the Bose remote as you always have.

Know that by doing this, you will sacrifice the ability to watch 4K content on your 4K TV. 

1080p-vs-4K.jpg

Option 1. Connect everything to the TV:

This is the simplest solution. Sadly, this Lifestyle system does not support ARC or eARC (it also does not support CEC) so you would have to use the optical out of your TV to your Lifestyle system. The problem with that is optical cables only send PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, or DTS 5.1. They cannot send uncompressed audio formats to the Lifestyle system.

hdmi-vs-optical-coaxial.png

Not only that but a lot of TV's do not output 5.1 for HDMI sources connected to them only PCM 2.0 (be aware that sometimes internal TV sources like apps do output 5.1). So, before you do anything test & see if your TV outputs 5.1 or 2.0 using optic & a source you know outputs 5.1 via HDMI (just know that YouTube still does not support 5.1 as every audio source there is still standard 2.0. Even the 5.1 audio test mixes, if you download them onto a computer & check the media info, they are still 2.0. Even the original series that they have to offer there are in stereo).

If you don't care about uncompressed audio & your TV outputs 5.1 you might just want to keep it as it is, but there are better solutions. 

Option 1a: Use the TV's Optical out

For simplicity, you can connect all your HDMI devices directly to the TV and use the TV's optical out to your receiver (I will ignore possible RCA/3.5mm headphone connection on your TV as they will only send stereo to your 5.1 surround sound system). Just remember what I wrote directly above as there is a chance that you will not get 5.1 but only stereo.

Option 1b: ARC converter with an HDMI pass-through

This is a good option if your TV only has an HDMI ARC out and you wish to listen to a device connected to your TV. 

This will guarantee that the HDMI device you connect directly to the converter will send 5.1 to your AV20/AV35 receiver. Just remember what I wrote above in "Option 1", as there is a chance that using HDMI ARC you will only get stereo from anything connected directly to your TV not 5.1.

To reduce duplication, I have a full list of devices in "Option 3". 

Option 2. Send Video to the TV & Audio directly to your Lifestyle system:

Some devices support two HDMI outs like this 4K BluRay player. This is a great solution as it will ensure you get full 4k video going to your TV & uncompressed audio going to your Lifestyle system. That is if your source supports them.

ubd-k8500_ports.jpg

Most cable & satellite boxes do not support uncompressed audio for their TV channels. So, HDMI might not be required for uncompressed audio so Digital Coax/SPDIF & TOSLink/Optical would work just fine. The image below this might be a great way to connect everything to your TV. I should mention there is a chance that some apps built into your cable/satellite box might output uncompressed audio, yet you could use your Blu-Ray players' apps for that.

If you are like me & your TV does not output 5.1 but only 2.0 then connect your 4k video to the TV & send the SPDIF/Optical cable to your Lifestyle system.

cable_box_digital_rear.jpg

This is why a universal remote like what I mentioned earlier would make using your system with this type of setup a lot easier.

Option 3. Get an HDMI switch with 2 HDMI outs:

I found a few HDMI switches with 2 HDMI outs that support 4k @ 60hz. I have not personally tested any of these. 

Using this setup will still give you the full 5.1 surround experience you are used to as this is what your Lifestyle AV20 / AV35 system is capable of supporting & allow for 4K on your TV.

HDMI Audio Video Splitter.jpg

Option 3a: Multiple 4K devices

This HDMI 4x2 switch features 4 HDMI in's & 2 HDMI outs

1. Connect your HDMI devices to the HDMI in's on the switch
    • If you need more than 4 ports there are other switches out there
  2. The TV & Lifestyle
    1. Connect "Out A" HDMI ARC to your TV's ARC HDMI port.
      • ARC is a special HDMI port that will send the TV's audio to your Lifestyle
    2. Connect "Out B" HDMI Audio Only to the Lifestyle

51jcNbIbTlL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

If this specific switch is currently sold out, I have found a couple of alternatives.

If you want a different HDMI switch please keep a few things in mind:

1. You need a switch with two HDMI outputs:
    1. One HDMI port to the TV that outputs 4K.
    2. The second can be either an HDMI Audio Only port or an individually downscaled HDMI port that outputs 1080p, but only on that second HDMI port.
  2. Avoid Matrix switches. They allow you to send out different audio/video sources & could make using it a pain.
    1. XOLORspace calls itself a "matrix switch". I believe this is for branding reasons as it doesn't include Matrix features.
  3. It looks like the 4x2 HDMI switches with "HDMI Audio Only" are quite often listed as an HDMI 4x1 switch. This is because the HDMI audio-only port isn't counted as a full HDMI out.
  4. Encryption needs to be correct. It needs to say it supports HDCP 2.2 or greater.

Option 3b: A single 4K device or an existing HDMI switch.

If you already have a switch you wish to use or you only wish to connect a single 4K device. You could get an HDMI Splitter that features an HDMI Audio only port; typically called an HDMI Audio Extractor

1. Connect your HDMI device to the "Input" on the Audio Extractor
  2. The TV & Lifestyle
    1. Connect "Main" to your TV's ARC HDMI port.
      • ARC is a special HDMI port that will send the TV's audio to your Lifestyle
    2. Connect "Audio Only" to the Lifestyle

HDMI Audio Extractor.jpg

HDMI Audio splitter wide.jpg

I have found a few options encase any are sold out:

Option 4. Bose Dealer Upgrade:

I found this place that is offering to upgrade older Lifestyle systems to the Lifestyle 600, what's great about this is that system supports 4K. They briefly wrote about it here.

WB South Trade-In.png

They say they are a Bose Authorised dealer, so I'm guessing that's how they can do this. If they are not local to you, I would find the nearest Bose dealer & ask them if they can do the same.

Option 5. Another system:

If the above solutions don't work for you. You might wish to replace your system with a 3rd party receiver-based system, so you can upgrade that receiver with a new one in the future. If that is true, a new Acoustimass 10 series V plus a new receiver might be exactly what you are looking for.

Or maybe a SoundBar would be a better alternative to your existing Lifestyle system. Something like the SoundBar 700 with the sub & rears. If your TV supports eARC so does the SoundBar 700. This way you will get the best experience possible

I hope that solves your problem, and please let me know what you end up doing 🙂

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Jessie_O

Hi Ct2211, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

You are correct in all aspects of your post. 

You will have to assign optical audio for your TV. I have included the instructions below to assist:

1. On the control console, press Setup
  2. On the remote, press Down to highlight "TV setup"
  3. Press OK
  4. press Down to highlight "Add TV audio"
  5. Press OK and follow the on-screen instructions
  6. Press Exit; the system will exit to the initial setup screen

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to reach out to us again. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
ct2211
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Jessie O, Thank you for the reply. My only question is If I set up a new 4K TV and go from the cable box to the LSv35(HDMI) and out from the TV optical to The LSv35 optical (just for sound)  I will not be able see the setup menu of the V35 Console on the  new TV.  So can I do setup  prior to setting up my nwew TV with my old TV setup and follow the steps you provided (which are very helpful) and when I set up the new TV will the optical from the new TV give me sound?  Basically, I want to go cable box to TV with HDMI (for 4K picture) and Optical out from TV to LSv35 optical in for sound. Sorry, I think I confused myself here  : )

Jessie_O

Hi Ct2211, 

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I apologize if I wasn't completely clear! 

I would recommend setting up your V35 on the old TV for your optical Connection. Once this is working, connecting your TV and unplugging your cable box and connecting this directly to your TV. 

This should then work for any audio you have playing on your TV. 

I hope this has helped clarify. Let us know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
ct2211
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Thanks again Jessie O. Update, so I followed all instructions and set up the optical connection from my old TV to The V35 console. Ran the Optical cable from  my old TV to the optical on the Bose. After setting up the optical I went from my cable box to my old TV. results, picture, but no sound.  Not sure why, I re-checked everything,  tried the steps again,  with the same result. 

Jessie_O

Hi Ct2211, 

Thanks for coming back to me and updating me on your current situation.

Have you checked the sound settings on your TV? You will need to make sure the TV speakers are turned off and digital optical out is selected. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

ct2211
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Thanks again Jessie O. I did check my old TV manual and the speaker settings for the TV. The speaker settings were off, and that is all the manual mentioned was need to use the optical out on the TV.  

From my TV manual. Send the TV’s audio to external audio equipment via the Audio Output port. If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp). 

1. How to connect
1 Connect one end of the optical cable to the TV port of OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT.
2 Connect the other end of the optical cable to the digital audio input on the audio equipment.

3 Set the “TV Speaker option - Off” in the AUDIO menu. (►p.150). See the external audio equipment instruction manual for operation.

► Do not look into the optical output port. Looking at the laser beam may damage your vision

► Audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection) function may block digital audio output.

I rechecked everything and I could still not get sound from the TV to the Bose with the optical. Maybe it's the TV, which I'm replacing. Maybe the New TV will work with the Optical out to the V35 console. I will update when I get the new TV installed which will be on Monday. 

Thanks for all the help!

Jessie_O

No Problem at all, Ct2211.

I hope it all goes well! If you need anything else please do come back to us! 

Good Luck! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

ct2211
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

Jessie O, Thanks for all the input. The optical conection to my new TV worked with the Bose LSV35. 

Mactony007
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2020

Connecting 4k tv to Lifestyle v35 with optical cable, will you still get the maximum clear sound from the bose speaker?