ColinH
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2021

Connection to Technics HiFi system

Good morning I'm not a Bose owner but hope to be soon.

I have a 30 year old Technics HiFi system that is still in good working order. It has separate turntable, tape player and CD player linked through a combined receiver/Amp to a couple of fairly large passive speakers.

I need to get rid of the large speakers and I am hoping to connect my HiFi, wirelessly if possible, to a Bose Soundbar. The Soundbar 300 looks promising but how do I get a compatible output from my Technics system. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks

CH 

Bose product name

Bose Smart Soundbar 300

Country

UK

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Connection to Technics HiFi system

Author Accepted Answer selected by ColinH

What outputs does your current amp have?

Soundbars are generally designed as just an input from the TV, so that's the best way to get sound into it (through HDMI or Optical)  If your amp has on optical output that could work, but I suspect it's just the speaker output and maybe headphone out.

Next best option would be outputting through the headphone out.  In this way you would use either a BT transmitter or an analogue (3.5mm) to digital (optical) audio converter.

If it only has speaker output, there's probably nothing to do.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by ColinH

What outputs does your current amp have?

Soundbars are generally designed as just an input from the TV, so that's the best way to get sound into it (through HDMI or Optical)  If your amp has on optical output that could work, but I suspect it's just the speaker output and maybe headphone out.

Next best option would be outputting through the headphone out.  In this way you would use either a BT transmitter or an analogue (3.5mm) to digital (optical) audio converter.

If it only has speaker output, there's probably nothing to do.

View solution in original post

ColinH
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2021

Thanks for your reply

The Amp has twin wires to left speaker and twin wires to right speaker.

There is a headphone socket.

Could you suggest something that I could plug in to headphone socket that would transmit BT or WiFi to Soundbar?

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

You won't find anything Wifi unless it also has a receiver, then it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Really, you can find 100 BT transmitters on Ebay/Amazon.  Most electronics stores will have 5 or more.  There's nothing really to differentiate them until you test them out.