mthornberry10
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Controlling Bose Solo 5 soundbar with DirecTV RC73 remote

I am trying to program my RC73 remote/Samsung TV/Bose Solo 5 and it is not completely working.  Currently, I can control the volume of the soundbar with my RC73 remote, but the soundbar does not turn on/off with the TV (I still have to use the power button on the Bose remote).  I am trying to control the TV and soundbar with 1 remote.

I navigated to Menu > Settings > Remote Control > Pair/Program Remote > Change Audio Device.  I found Bose, but the model number was not listed, so I selected that option.  It then finds a code and I can control the volume with the DirecTV remote, but not the power.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Controlling Bose Solo 5 soundbar with DirecTV RC73 remote

Hi mthornberry10, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and would recommend that you reach out to DirecTV as this isn't something that we have experience with as this is their remote. In regards to the Bose Solo 5 no setting changes are needed on your system to control it with a universal remote that sends IR (infrared) commands. The IR sensor on your system is located on the front. Be sure it is not blocked so it can detect remote commands.

Please update us on their response regarding this and I am sorry that this isn't something that I can assist with. If any other members of the community have this TV box and have paired it with the Solo 5 please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Promdate2
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

I’m having the same problem.  Volume is controlled on the solo sound bar but the on off is not. The on off function has worked with this remote on every other device.  I think it’s a Bose issue. Any advice?   Is there a correct code you could suggest?

Highlighted

Hello Promdate2, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that your remote if not controlling all functionalities of your Bose. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that a 3rd party remote will work with the system and would recommend speaking with DirecTV about this. 

I am sorry that we cannot help more. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
MVaz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

I feel like this is a copy out response. My DirecTV remote in two other rooms controls BOTH the power and volume of other big name soundbars, bit doesn't work with Bose. This is a Bose issue, not DirecTV remote issue. Please do a software update to be competitive with others. Had I known of this issue before my purchase, I would have gone with a competitor who would be less expensive with sound that works for the room in which the system is installed. Please provide better assistance than contacting DirecTV.

Highlighted

Hi MVaz,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the power controls via a universal remote and I would be happy to help with this.

What the DirecTV remote is able to control will come down to what codes they are using with each particular device. It's not something we are able to change with the software on our end, any change in functionality with a DirecTV remote would have to come from DirecTV themselves.

What we could do in the meantime, to allow you to turn the Solo 5 on with a single remote is to use the 'Auto-Wake' feature on the soundbar. This will mean anytime the soundbar detects an audio signal from your TV, it will turn on automatically for us.

To enable this what we need to do is, using the Bose remote, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds until an ascending tone is heard from the soundbar. If you decide to disable this again afterwards, you just need to do the same process again, and you would hear a descending tone rather than ascending when it is complete.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
fishcable
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

I am also experiencing this same issue.  

Highlighted
LRL
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 8, 2020

I just spoke with Direct TV technical service.  They still do not have an update for the Bose Solo5.  This is something Direct TV will have to make available.  I used the Bose Solo option and it controls the volume.  I was tired of using the giant Bose remote to power on (it's half the size of the sound bar) so I used the auto detect function as suggested.  This works just fine.  Thanks Bose for coming up with a solution. 

Highlighted
fishcable
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Update:  Using the Auto-wake feature described above by Keith L. did the trick!  Thank you!