DOLBY ATMOS

Vocal Volunteer

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

I mispoke in my previous post.  I corrected it, but I meant to say that by using 2 Bose Acoustimass 10 systems and an Atmos receiver you might be able to do 7.2.2 or you could do 5.2.4 if your receiver supports 4 Atmos speakers.

Audible Advocate

I’m not sure why you think an update will magically make atmos happen? It is done by additional speakers firing sound upwards at the front, so the headunit would have to be different with extra amp channels, more connectors, additional wires, speakers etc,  surely if you want a system that is 100% future proof and upgradeable then you would buy a separates system? We have all bought a £4K system that does what it does extremely well. It’s elegant and powerful but it is a home theatre in a box essentially, Bose systems always have been and always will be this way as this is their marketing strategy and it’s no secret, so no owner should be disappointed that the system isn’t upgradeable as it has never been advertised as being this way, Bose have always tried (to their success in fairness) to make simple to use unobtrusive sound systems. The fact we can add a second bass module was a big surprise for me. Just enjoy what you have and perhaps think about what you actually want from a product before purchasing it......especially when spending £4K. 

Audible Advocate

I have an acoustimass 10 series v system with a sony 5.1 reciever.  I just got a great deal on a marantz Sr 6012 which has atmos and 9.2 and can be 11.2 with an amplifier for last 2 speakers.  I live in maryland a guy here sells bose products he buys at estate sales for cheap.  I just got an Acoustimass 16 II subwoofer from him fo 75$.  He sells the acoustimass double cubes series 4 at 40$ a piece with wires and brackets.  I am gonna hook up 4 double cubes and run through second sub which can use 6 speakers.  so my plan is use my acoustimass 10 series V regular than run the Acoustimass 16 II subwoofer with 4 atmos cubes and if i can buy an amp for cheap i will also add 2 more cubes for height.  My question is in the bose subs is there an amplifier for the speakers or am i better off buying  a small amplifier for the 2 height cubes.  My email if anyone wants the guys number for Inexpensive Bose Equipment is trainum1@gmail.com    Everything i have gotten i have registered here at bose with no problems and the cubes have been in original packaging.   My acoustimass 10 series v system new in box was 600$.  My Wife loved saving 400$

Chris

PS  Ill let you know how it goes.  If the atmos doesnt work i am gonna hook the cubes up as height l/r Height wide l/r and back surround l/r

Vocal Volunteer

Yes, Bose is not currently Atmos capable.  A firmware update would not make it so.  I guess it's anyone's guess whether or not Bose will manufacture and sell an Atmos system in the future.

However, using their Bose Acoustimass 10 or two of them, there is no reason you could not have a nice Atmos system by using an Amos receiver.  you would simply send your channels from the Atmos receiver to one or the other Acoustimass module then to the cubes.

Also, not all Atmos systems use upfiring speakers.  The higher quality Atmos systems would have speakers in the ceiling.

Quiet Contributor

Agreed with your comments.... It took nearly a year to own this product even though I know that the product don't have Dolby ATMOS.

Audible Advocate

Hello. I did hook up a second sub a Bose acoutimas 16 capable of 6.1 hookup and 3 woofers instead of 2. Used the second woofer to run surround back left/right and than atmos or ceiling speakers front left/right and. Atmos/ceiling back left/right. Sounds amazing. First sub runs typical 5.1 setup. With my marantz 6012 the sound on atmos enables movies is just incredible
Audible Advocate

I have created a video of my Dolby ATMOs setup with Bose acoustimas speakers. Is it ok to post the Youtube link over here to share my experience? if it is not please feel free to delete the link. Thanks

https://youtu.be/L6692pOlo0c

5.1.4 Dolby ATMOS setup with BOSE speakers.
Audible Advocate

It is amazing what a good receiver can do when paired with these amazing Bose speakers isn't it? I wish Bose comes out with a set of speakers for customers with options for 5.1.4 or 5.1.2 setups. I am talking something like a package, it owuld be amazing to be able to buy them all in one package. I am glad Trainum 1 is enjoying his system as well.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

Great job on the video and use of Bose speakers for an Atmos system. I am a fan of Yamaha receivers. Equally impressed by the Bose speakers featured in your video. They look very solid.

I let all my 5.1 gear (Yamaha HTR 1200 receiver and Boston Acoustics Micro 100K Speakers ) go a few years ago in favour of a Bose sound bar and sub. Watching this video brings back good memories.

Your Atmos adaptation using the Bose ceiling speakers seems like a good way to go.

Vocal Volunteer

Great setup.  I would move the front left and right a little farther apart.  Otherwise, congratulations and good job.