DOLBY ATMOS

Audible Advocate

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Hello

I took my 2 bose acoustimas sysytems and made them into a 7.2.4 atmos sysye.  My marantz reciever is 9.2  so i bought an amp.

now it runs wire out of receiver to amp than bose sub than speaker. I get a clicking sound in the amp area.  Almost like it tries to turn on or auto shutting down.  Since s lot of movies are not in Atmos i was thinking maybe this was why i get clicking noise its trying shut on and off.  I guess biggest question is am i hurting the speakers?

Thank you

Chris

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

@Trainum1 wrote:

Hello

I took my 2 bose acoustimas sysytems and made them into a 7.2.4 atmos sysye.  My marantz reciever is 9.2  so i bought an amp.

now it runs wire out of receiver to amp than bose sub than speaker. I get a clicking sound in the amp area.  Almost like it tries to turn on or auto shutting down.  Since s lot of movies are not in Atmos i was thinking maybe this was why i get clicking noise its trying shut on and off.  I guess biggest question is am i hurting the speakers?

Thank you

Chris

Hi Chris:

Review your hookup, sounds like something is shorting out.

I would get some advice from Bose before powering up your system again.

Another frequent participant @jimgfitz might be able to help you with Atmos setup as well.

Vocal Volunteer

Why do you need an amp?  Why not go from your receiver to your Accoustimass modules to your cubes.  Try it without the amp and I'll bet it works great.

Audible Advocate

I am using the amp because the marantz 6012 only powers 9.2  I have 7.2.4 speaker setup or 11.2 if u will coming from reciever.  Does the bose sub have amplification power also?  I was told bose double cubes needed at least 110 watts and had to run through a subwoffer or you could blow out the speaker.  Am i mistaken.  I got another amp and it stilll does it.  I think since there is not that many things in atmos 7.2.4 the amp is going to sleep than making the click when it gets something to power?  Im thinking of going into the marantz setup and making the front left and front  right use the amplifier. 

Will let you know

Besides the clicking everyonce in a while it does sound amazing

Vocal Volunteer

Get rid of the amp.  The Bose Acoustimass modules will do the job.  Each and every double cube must be wired from your receiver to an Acoustimass module to the double cubes.  You can only use as many double cubes as you have inputs and outputs from your Acoustimass modules.  For instance, if you have two Acoustimass modules with a total of 6 inputs and outputs, you can only use 6 double cubes.

Audible Advocate

i have 2 acoutimas systems.  one is a 10 series V  the other sub is an acoustimas 16 II  Which has an extra output.  So the first does C FL FR BR BL and second sub does SBL SBR and Atmos CFR CFL CRL CRR .  My Marantz Reciever is an SR6012  9.2 powered but with an external amp it can run 11 speakers.  So the 2 Ceiling right and left rear speakers are hooked up from reciever to seperate amp than bose subwoofer  than to cubes.  I get a clicking sound everyonce in a whilee.  It doesnt seem to be a damaging click as much as most stuff isnt atmos encoded so the reciever doest send to much to those speakers and the amp may go into power save mode??  When i hooked up my 4K player and watched the new Avengers movie  I did not get any clicking and it sounds Amazing in Atmos 7.2.4  

Audible Advocate

SO if i get rid of the amp and the reciever only drives 9 speakers does the bose sub have the ability to power 2 cubes.  I assumed you needed the reciever to do that?

Vocal Volunteer

You CANNOT run Bose cubes from an amp other than a Bose Acoustimass module.  I'm not sure how many times I need to say that.

You must run your wires from your receiver to the Bose Acoustimass module to the Bose cubes.  Each Bose single or double cube will carry one channel.  If your receiver is a 9 channel receiver, then 9 channels is the most you will have.  However, you would need 9 ins and outs on your Bose Acoustimass modules and 9 Bose single or double cubes.

When I did a similiar setup using two Bose Acoustimass modules, I only had 5 ins and outs on my two Acoustimass modules, so I was able to do 5 channels.

I think your two Bose systems have a total of 5 + 6 = 11 channels plus subwoofers.  However, if your receiver is only 9 channels, then you can only do 9 channels.

Quiet Contributor

Any luck setting up this system? I am trying something similar as well and I would share my experience. It would be nice if Bose comes out soon with a set of speakers similar to Acustimas 10 for user to be able to get atmos in different configurations like 5.1.2 or either 5.1.4.

Seems to me the current Bose speaker systems were not designed to manage Dolby Atmos. I don’t believe simply adding a couple of Bose cube speakers to the upper channels will garner decent results. For one thing the cubes are “dumb” little twiddlers and require the correct crossover circuitry which resides in the Acoustimass modules to run properly. You might be better to mount a pair of the Bose 161or 251 speakers or competitors conventional speakers in the upper channels of your receiver.

Alternatively wait till Bose comes out with a proper Atmos system.

Audible Advocate

Thank you everyone for the input. I took the amp off the rear ceiling speakers and hooked to front left and right. Since there is always sound coming from those 2 I have ended the amp clicking noise. It seems to be that there wasn’t enough sound coming out of those speakers constantly. I watched avengers in atmos. Sounds incredible. The 4 double cubes in ceiling are facing straight down with the Bose sub helping them. The 7.2.4 setup sounds great.