rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

@Trainum1 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the input. I took the amp off the rear ceiling speakers and hooked to front left and right. Since there is always sound coming from those 2 I have ended the amp clicking noise. It seems to be that there wasn’t enough sound coming out of those speakers constantly. I watched avengers in atmos. Sounds incredible. The 4 double cubes in ceiling are facing straight down with the Bose sub helping them. The 7.2.4 setup sounds great.

Glad to hear you got everything working well.  I have listened to other products belting out Atmos and they sound quite nice. I see even the streaming services are starting to provide Atmos support. Hopefully Bose will develop an Atmos option either in their sound bars or as discrete speakers. Of course that will mean lots of upgrading least of all new hardware and 4K hi res HDMI cables.  

I am just working on a 4K tv. My cable provider offers very little in the way of 4K and certainly no Atmos, which is one reason Apple TV is starting to look very good again. I see the Amazon Fire II stick supports Atmos as well. None of this means much with the current Bose gear unless doing what you have done with Acoustimass and a non Bose receiver. 

Hope you you enjoy your system, how about some pictures on your setup.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Bose already has Atmos.  It's called two Bose Acoustimass 10's plus an aftermarket Atmos receiver.  Depending on the Atmos receiver you buy, you can have up to 10 Bose double cube speakers plus 2 subs.  This would allow for 7.2.2 or 5.2.4.  And, none of the speakers would be just little tweeters.  All the speakers play through one or the other of the two Acoustimass modules for the bass component of the sound.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

Bose already has Atmos.  It's called two Bose Acoustimass 10's plus an aftermarket Atmos receiver.  Depending on the Atmos receiver you buy, you can have up to 10 Bose double cube speakers plus 2 subs.  This would allow for 7.2.2 or 5.2.4.  And, none of the speakers would be just little tweeters.  All the speakers play through one or the other of the two Acoustimass modules for the bass component of the sound.

No arguement there, a pair of Acoustimass packages sounds like they will do the job. Another way would be in-ceiling mount Bose speakers and  any of the free standing Bose speaker combinations  plus an aftermarket sub and Atmos receiver. 

I am referring to integrated systems like the Bose SoundBars, which are masterful at reproducing wide sound fields. I always thought the 130 chassis with wrap around (sides and top) grille, forward and up firing speakers and phase guide technology would be a great foundation for an Atmos/DTX system. Certainly would blow away the competition’s straight upfiring speakers as seen in Sony and Samsung bars.

I am sure the Bose marketers and engineers are already evaluating whether or not to enter the Atmos and DTS X market.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Yes, there is no reason Bose could not introduce a sound bar with upward firing Atmos speakers.  It would not work for me because of 20 foot ceilings.

Highlighted
Giochr2
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

• I really wanted to know if this setup will work:

I have a Bose Acoustimass 15 series iii 5.1, really satisfied, hooked up to an old 7.1 Onkyo TX-SR876  receiver.Now ,I’d like to upgrade to Atmos but I plan to do so in 2 steps.

1)First step would be to upgrade to 7.1 by adding 2 double cube speakers as rear back surround L&R.I found a real bargain on a acoustimass 10 series iii module in great condition,so I was planning to connect the rear speakers to the second module and this to the AV.Will this work?I  mean, will the acoustimass 10 be able to drive the back surround speakers and work properly,even though the pre out sub output will only be connected to the first acoustimass 15 module and no lfe connection will take place,for the time being,to the additional acoustimass 10 module (my receiver has only one pre out sub output)?

2)Second step ,in the near future ,will be to add the 4 Atmos speakers and pass to an Onkyo tx rz 1100 Atmos so as to obtain the desirable 7.2.4 set up!Six speakers will be connected to the first  module and five to the second.Both sub pre outs will be used properly.

Is step 1 feasible?I really don ‘t want to lose the bargain on the acoustimass 10 module.Then, hopefully soon,I will be able to purchase the 1100 onkyo and do the final 7.2.4 setup.

Thanks everyone!

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I did exactly what you are doing with an Onkyo (don't remember the model) and two Bose speaker systems.  I had a Bose Acoustimass 7 for front left, center, and right and a Bose Acoustimass 5 for rear left and right.  I had a Klipsch subwoofer so the two Bose speaker systems were only plugged into the Onkyo speaker outs.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the Bose Acoustimass 10 will work fine without being plugged into your receiver subwoofer jack.  The Acoustimass 10 will simply carry the highs (to the cubes) and mid's (to the module).  I think this should work well, but don't be surprised is you're back at the store the next day buying an Atoms receiver to give you 5.2.4 or 7.2.2.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

I did exactly what you are doing with an Onkyo (don't remember the model) and two Bose speaker systems.  I had a Bose Acoustimass 7 for front left, center, and right and a Bose Acoustimass 5 for rear left and right.  I had a Klipsch subwoofer so the two Bose speaker systems were only plugged into the Onkyo speaker outs.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the Bose Acoustimass 10 will work fine without being plugged into your receiver subwoofer jack.  The Acoustimass 10 will simply carry the highs (to the cubes) and mid's (to the module).  I think this should work well, but don't be surprised is you're back at the store the next day buying an Atoms receiver to give you 5.2.4 or 7.2.2.

From reading @jimgfitz numerous and informative posts(I learned a lot about Acoustimass speakers) only a dedicated non Bose sub would be connected to the sub out. That would then shift the AM speakers and modules to high and mid level and surround sound duties as @jimgfitz mentioned. A few other posters have done the same thing.

Giochr2
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Thank you so much for your precious input jimgfitz.The thing you said “but not positive” worries me a little bit,but I ‘ll try it anyway; in the end we’re talking about rear back surround speakers,not,say ,the front right and left....

Yeah I know,someone will have to tie me up at home for not letting me go to the store.If it wasn’t for this thing called budget planning,I would have bought everything ....yesterday!!!

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

It will work unless there is something strange about the Bose Acoustimass 10 that requires input from a subwoofer channel.  That wouldn't make any sense, I don't believe.

Trainum1
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

I don’t think it will work. When you have the sub out from your reciever it plays the bass you don’t get from the Bose cubes. The speakers will play but won’t sound correct without the bass from the sub. I had one of my subs not plugged in all the way the cubes played but didn’t sound right. After tracing all the wires I realized the sub out to that subwoofer had come undone. You could try a y connected to hook up both suns from the one out. If u look o line there are lots of used Reciever’s. I bought a marantz factory reconditioned 6012 for 600$ a few months ago. It has worked great to run my 7.2.4 Bose setup. It was more than I wanted to spend but it sounds amazing. Even my friend that put there nose up at Bose are impressed.

Hope this helps