jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
  • 206
  • 1549
  • 46
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

I don't think that is correct.  The speaker outs from the receiver go through the subwoofer then to the cubes.  This wiring carries the highs to the cubes and mids to the subwoofer.  The subwoofer out from the receiver would carry the low lows to a 3rd party subwoofer.

 

EDIT:  I just looked at the owner's manual for a Bose Acoustimass 10 and it doesn't even have an input for a subwoofer cable from your receiver.  Evidently, the Bose Acoustimass 10 is for front left, center, right and rear left and right speakers only. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
  • 190
  • 955
  • 18
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS


@jimgfitz wrote:

I don't think that is correct.  The speaker outs from the receiver go through the subwoofer then to the cubes.  This wiring carries the highs to the cubes and mids to the subwoofer.  The subwoofer out from the receiver would carry the low lows to a 3rd party subwoofer.

 

EDIT:  I just looked at the owner's manual for a Bose Acoustimass 10 and it doesn't even have an input for a subwoofer cable from your receiver.  Evidently, the Bose Acoustimass 10 is for front left, center, right and rear left and right speakers only. 

 

 

Thats how I understand the Acoustimass modules work, life support for the small speakers (crossovers) while providing mid and low notes. A very unique way to run 5.1 speakers.

 

For upper Atmos speakers, additional speakers would be added directly to satellite ports or via a second Acoustimass package. Correct?

 


A separate sub woofer connects to the receiver/ amp LFE port for really low notes if desired.

Highlighted
Giochr2
Audible Advocate
  • 1
  • 7
  • 0
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Re: DOLBY ATMOS


@jimgfitz wrote:

I don't think that is correct.  The speaker outs from the receiver go through the subwoofer then to the cubes.  This wiring carries the highs to the cubes and mids to the subwoofer.  The subwoofer out from the receiver would carry the low lows to a 3rd party subwoofer.

 

EDIT:  I just looked at the owner's manual for a Bose Acoustimass 10 and it doesn't even have an input for a subwoofer cable from your receiver.  Evidently, the Bose Acoustimass 10 is for front left, center, right and rear left and right speakers only. 



jimgfitz,

you ‘re probably referring to AM 10 series ii,which  is a “passive” module;indeed there’s no input for a subwoofer cable from the receiver.

I’m talking about AM 10 series iii which is an active module,needs to be powered and is connected to the pre out of the receiver!

As Trainum1 mentioned ,I’ll try a Y connector to hook up both subs to one pre out;

at least for the time being....

 

Trainum1
Audible Advocate
  • 1
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

both of my subs the acoutimas 10 series v and the acoustimas 16 II subs have a seperate sub or LFE input RCA type cable from reciever to sub.  It really makes a difference in amount of bass playing when cubes are on.  My marantz reciever when doing test tone check actually has me set the decibals on each sub seperately and when the ceiling atmos speakers go off you can hear light bass from the subs.   Ive had to adjust because the series 16 has 3 woofers in it to the and 10 series v went to 2 woofers.  But they definately need to be plugged in.  the y-connect will help until you can get a new reciever.

Giochr2
Audible Advocate
  • 1
  • 7
  • 0
Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Thanks everyone for your input,really!!!

I ‘ll be sure to do that Trainum1,I’ll try the Y connector.

So,doing the wrap up:

Front right,front left,center,surround left,surround right go to AM15.

Surround back right,surround back left go to AM10.

Both modules connected with Y connector to the one pre out output.

Of course I ‘ll have to run an Audyssey mic calibration,both for the 2 SB speakers  and for the 2 subs added, so as to avoid any boomy effect.

Future Atmos speakers go to AM10!

anirban747
Quiet Contributor
  • 0
  • 1
  • 0
Registered since

Mar 21, 2019

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Hello,

 

I am seeing lot of comments related to upward firing speakers to bounce off ceiling to acheive Atmos sound.

Please do not forget, the receiver itself needs to have Atmos decoder which none of Bose's receivers has.

Secondly, Atmos and DTS X are 3D sound format based on object based sound mapping rather than speaker based. So even if you have upward firing speakers or you hang LS650 omni -jewel from ceiling, it won't make a difference unless you have a proper Atmos signal sent to receiver(Ex - Blu-ray player unprocessed bit stream only), which is then decoded by the receiver and sent across the speakers connected to the receiver. You might feel surrounded by sound from all over but that's not 3D sound. Once you experience real Atmos sound, you will feel the difference from 2D sound generated by non-atmos systems.

The story of Atmos is over for LS650, there is nothing that can be achieved with this. Sorry.

 

Thank you!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
  • 190
  • 955
  • 18
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS


@anirban747 wrote:

Hello,

 

>I am seeing lot of comments related to upward firing speakers to bounce off ceiling to acheive Atmos sound.

Please do not forget, the receiver itself needs to have Atmos decoder which none of Bose's receivers has.

 

There is not much debate there. I beleive that is the limiting factor for any of the current Bose systems. Atmos and or DTS - X decoders aren’t built in to the system. Not to mention the additional ports required to power satellites.

 

>Secondly, Atmos and DTS X are 3D sound format based on object based sound mapping rather than speaker based. So even if you have upward firing speakers or you hang LS650 omni -jewel from ceiling, it won't make a difference unless you have a proper Atmos signal sent to receiver(Ex - Blu-ray player unprocessed bit stream only), which is then decoded by the receiver and sent across the speakers connected to the receiver. You might feel surrounded by sound from all over but that's not 3D sound.

 

Seems the only Bose speaker system that may be able to support Atmos and DTS X would be AM 10 and at least two other speakers like 161 or 301 all of which can be plugged into an Atmos receiver. Keeping in mind, Bose does not rate any of its speaker products for Atmos or DTS X. But there is no reason why the gold old stand alon speakers wouldn’t work. 

 

>Once you experience real Atmos sound, you will feel the difference from 2D sound generated by non-atmos systems.

The story of Atmos is over for LS650, there is nothing that can be achieved with this. Sorry.

 

Indeed the speaker bars and Lifestyle systems won’t work and a firmware update won’t cut it!


jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
  • 206
  • 1549
  • 46
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

That's why I keep recommending we try two Bose Acoustimass 10 systems plus a 3rd party Atmos receiver for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2.  

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
  • 190
  • 955
  • 18
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS


@jimgfitz wrote:

That's why I keep recommending we try two Bose Acoustimass 10 systems plus a 3rd party Atmos receiver for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2.  


 

 

After a little more reading I see these Acoustimass systems do in fact support an LFE connection, indeed it is the older AM systems that didn’t and were indeed passive. I noticed in the older manuals there was even crossover settings.

 

I can understand that using an an Atmos reciever, Acoustimass 10 system and some extra speakers for the additional satellites might be a way to have a Bose Acoustimass speaker array that plays Atmos. I am lost however with the idea of using a second Acoustimass system, “Y” connector for the LFE etc. That is when things get a little more complicated and would certainly be for the brave.

 

I think if someone was to try to set up an Atmos setup, 1 AM speaker system and additional regular Bose speakers for satellites would do the job.

 

I see at least one Bose moderator has suggested using an Atmos receiver and Acoustimass 10 system as the foundation for an Atmos setup.

 

I do think it entirely possible though that Bose might have something coming down the pipe to handle Atmos and DTS X decoding. They have the experience with reflective sound engineering, speaker bars as well as discrete wired and wireless satellite speaker technology.  

 

All good information to ponder

 

 

Jigar
Silent Starter
  • 0
  • 3
  • 0
Registered since

May 16, 2019

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Hi All,

 

Can I use Bose Acoustimass 10 with Yamaha AVR or any other AVR? Further, for Atmos set-up can I use polk / klipsch ceeling speakers or any other ceeling speakers? Or should I use Bose ceeling speakers only for Atmos effect along with AM10?