Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

OK, this is not going to work.  Rick is right, and maybe Squadie also.  I did some experimenting with my Oppo 203 DVD player and confirmed this.

I played a 4k Ultra HD DVD I have and tried 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus.  With the Bose plugged in, I could select the 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, but the Oppo would down convert to 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus.  I disconnected the Bose and switched on the LG TV internal speakers and turned on Atmos (It's an Atmos capable TV).  I was then able to choose both 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, but both would down convert to 5.1.

So, I have concluded that the source is not going to send more than the sound system can handle.  Now, if I were to sell my Bose and purchase an LG Dolby Atmos soundbar, it would probably be possible to do this and have the upward firing soundbar plus overhead speakers playing through an amp, but that's not something I'm going to consider.  I love my Bose Soundtouch 300 more than I want Dolby Atmos overhead speakers, not to mention the cost factor!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>I love my Bose Soundtouch 300 more than I want Dolby Atmos overhead speakers, not to mention the cost factor!

I hear you @Xyz987...
I don’t think there is any manufacturer out there that has a sound bar that sounds, functions and looks good as the Bose line.

I was skeptical about Atmos thinking it was a sound field gimmick. Now that major theatres, Apple TV and Netflix are using the technology I think the audio standard may have some staying power.

Hopefully Bose will see fit to come out with gear that will process Atmos. The other question will be will Bose utilize direct or reflective speaker technologies? The company has lots of experience and success to draw on in any case.
Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Everything I have read indicates the upfiring ATMOS speakers are not very functional.  They would be useless for me with 20 feet ceiling in the family room.

sgMichael
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

yes, i agree. Before we buy a system, we would always look at the specs. For eg. supported which dobly formats, 5.1 etc....anything extra or software upgrade is a bonus.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Everything I have read indicates the upfiring ATMOS speakers are not very functional.  They would be useless for me with 20 feet ceiling in the family room.

Indeed that is what I was thinking when writing my last post. Reflected sound probably wouldn’t work as well with high ceilings. The Bose wireless rear speaker technologies seems to be improving over time and would work well applied to ceiling mounted presence speakers.

Bose often gets many years on an existing design. The 500 and 700 speaker bar chassis wouldn’t require any physical modifications by adding additional wireless presence speakers. 

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If they can add them to the Bose 500/700, they can add them to the Bose 300.  That would work perfect for me.  If they add 2, they might as well add four.  They could even be the existing speaker design.  Just cut holes in the ceiling and have a drop in bracket they lay in with a magnetic cover.  Plug into 110 volt and off you go.  I could go for some 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos.

Highlighted
GentleGEE
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Guys, I have Bose Cinemate 520 which happens to be my first bose sound system. I am contemplating adding either Bose 301 or 201 V. Will either of them works and how?

Many thanks in advance for your idea.
Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No, your system is a 5.1 system and will not support 7.1 or Dolby Atmos.  The ONLY way I can see using Bose for an Atmos system is with a 3rd party Atmos receiver and using two or three Bose Acoustimass modules and multiple Bose cubes plugged into the Acoustimass modules to give yourself the number of speakers you want.  You would run speaker wires from the Atmos receiver speaker outs to the Acoustmass module in's and those would match up with your Bose cubes plugged into the Acoustimass speaker outs.

For instance, if you had a Bose Acoustimass 7 and two Bose Acoustimass 5's,  that would give you 7 double cubes that you could use with the three Acoustimass modules for a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system.  You would need a 3rd party subwoofer for the bass channel plugged directly into the Atmos receiver.  The three Bose Acoustimass modules would just be the bass associated with the 7 double cubes.

I used this method for a killer 5.1 system with a Bose Acoustimass 7, Bose Acoustimass 5, Onkyo receiver, and Klipsch subwoofer.  I wish I had purchased an Atmos receiver and another Bose Acoustimass 5 instead of selling my system and buying a Bose Soundtouch 300, although I do like the 300.

B4short
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

incase you were still wondering.  I have an old acustimass system I still use.  10 series ii.  I  added to good bookshelf's (301s for front right and left). Used the cubes for surround and height wall mounted about 5 inches down angled top cube at me bottom straight).  All cubes run through sub still.  Set amp to all large speaker crossed over at 60 hz. Lfe at 150 because the sub unit can handle higher ranges then most for LFE.  Sounds great!

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You need to add a good subwoofer.  Right now you have a 5.0.2 system.  Add a Klipsch subwoofer for a 5.1.2 Atmos system.