Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

@Jigar wrote:

Hi All,

Can I use Bose Acoustimass 10 with Yamaha AVR or any other AVR?

Yes...just confirm your speaker size settings in the receiver audio setup per the Bose Acoustimass Speakers setup instructions.

Further, for Atmos set-up can I use polk / klipsch ceeling speakers or any other ceeling speakers?

Yes, they would be attached to the “presence” speaker channels. Pay attention to the receiver setup instructions. YPAO is Yamaha’s version of AdaptIQ and works in the same way. Makes speaker setup much easier.

Or should I use Bose ceeling speakers only for Atmos effect along with AM10?

That is the beauty of the AM 10 series. You can add non Bose speakers to the extra channels including Atmos. If you are willing to dole out some extra cash and a little time, swapping out the other speakers for Bose ceiling speakers,  would result in a pretty nice sounding setup.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2019

Thank you very much for response.

Is Yamaha RX-V 685 7.2 AV receiver compatible with Bose AM10?

The reason I am looking for Yamaha RX-V 685 7.2 AV is becuase it has two HDMI output at reasonable price.

Bose ceeling speaker are costly and polk / Klipsch ceeling speaker are relatively less expensive. Will the output be same for Atmos set-up 2.1.2 when I am using Bose AM10 with other brang in-ceeling speakers?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 16, 2019

The reason I am looking for Yamaha RX-V 685 7.2 AV is becuase it has two HDMI output at reasonable price.

Bose ceeling speaker are costly and polk / Klipsch ceeling speaker are relatively less expensive. Will the output be same for Atmos set-up 5.1.2 when I am using Bose AM10 with other brang in-ceeling speakers?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

a@Jigar wrote:

Bose ceeling speaker are costly and polk / Klipsch ceeling speaker are relatively less expensive. Will the output be same for Atmos set-up 5.1.2 when I am using Bose AM10 with other brang in-ceeling speakers?

Thank you!

You should be fine with the Yamah receiver. It appears to be rated for Atmos and all the other HD codecs.

The AM 10 kit will handle your primary 5.1 channels. You then add additional speakers of your choosing to the rear and presence channels. 

As far as the extra channel speakers, it depends on your brand loyalty. Me, I would stay with Bose. However the rear and presence channels don’t require a lot of speaker to operate properly. The channels are for added depth, height and well, presence. The Bose consumer line offers in ceiling speakers with SoundTouch. That would be a little bit over kill and probably not right for your planned system. You would be looking at the surface mount passive solutions 151, 161 and 251.

Alternatively, some people are using two AM systems. I am not clear on all the details but there are posts to that effect.  @Xyz987  can help there.

Edit: These speakers are not SoundTouch enabled. The Bose SoundTouch sales literature says they are SoundTouch compatible. I am not too sure what that means but the speakers themselves appear to be passive. As such would work quite nicely as presence speakers in an Atmos setup.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Hi,

So i bought the Samsung N950 soundbar just because it has Atmos and was VERY disappointed, i saw the Bose and coming from the 11ch of the N950 to just 5.1 i thought i was going to be even more disappointed, I WAS NOT. the full 5.1 set-up from Bose is AMAZING, i Truly wish they come up with a Atmos soundbar then my life is compleate. here is the review i did :

Bose 5.1 Speaker Review

And i will be comparing it with my N950 Samsung before i return it so people wot make the mistake i did. but please Bose come up with a Atmos soundbar 🙂 

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tech_in_a_secIndepth look at the Bose Soundbar with surround speakers + Bass unit. Full 5.1 set-upThis review will apply...
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2019

whats up if I have bose acoustimass 6 serie 3 (5.1)
And I have:
- Monitor Audio Bronze centre as center speaker
- two bose 301 serie v as right front and and left front.
- and two bose acoustimass as risght surround and left surround

(i have spare 3 acoustimass cube)

So.. Could I use 2 cubes to make dolby atmos?

Just I have to change the cables behind of av?
Thats right?? would it work well?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Just remember, any Bose cube MUST be fed from a Bose Acoustimass module.  They CANNOT otherwise be connected directly to your receiver.

The main question I would have about your setup is can you mix and match all those diffferent speakers and get a good balanced sound?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Bruno, I'm curious if you tried this and your results?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I keep obsessing about how we could add Dolby Atmos to our Bose sound systems.  My Bose is a Soundtouch 300 with sub and rear surround speakers.  I really like it and just want to add two overhead Atmos speakers.  My ceiling is 20 feet high, so upward firing speakers would not work for me.  Our couch and chairs are at the back of the room, so I think two overhead speakers would be sufficient.

How is this for an expensive, but maybe effective solution?

Purchase a 5.1.2 Atmos receiver with 4K passthrough.  Plug the Apple TV 4K into the receiver and plug the receiver HDMI out into the LG C7 OLED TV.  Run speaker wires for the two overheads and install speakers in the ceiling.  I already have a 110 volt outlet in the attic if needed.  My Bose Soundtouch 300 is already plugged into the LG HDMI ARC, so that would not change.

Currently, my only Atmos content is streaming from the Apple TV.  So when watching an Atmos movie, I would simply turn on the Atmos receiver to send the overhead sounds to the ceiling speakers.  Sound and video would pass through the receiver to the LG TV and on to the Bose for the 5.1 sound.  There would be no other speakers connected to the Atmos receiver.

The only drawback I see (other than cost and running wires to the ceiling) is the overhead sounds would still be mixed into the 5.1 sound from the Bose in addition to the two overhead speakers.

So, before I waste more time dreaming about this, would it work?

EDIT:  It would be much easier if someone makes a 5.1 receiver with wireless ceiling speakers.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

...There would be no other speakers connected to the Atmos receiver.

The only drawback I see (other than cost and running wires to the ceiling) is the overhead sounds would still be mixed into the 5.1 sound from the Bose in addition to the two overhead speakers.

So, before I waste more time dreaming about this, would it work?

EDIT:  It would be much easier if someone makes a 5.1 receiver with wireless ceiling speakers.

@Xyz987 

I think this would be an expensive solution for two Atmos presence speakers. 

Audio / Video synchronization will likely be an issue too. Apple TV, receiver and SoundTouch 300 bar trying to handle an Atmos source correctly doesn’t sound feasible.