GentleGEE
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Tell me about it. Disappointing to be honest. We can only hope for any advanced idea to remotely incorporate the Dolby Atmos.
GentleGEE
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Totally understood. Let’s hope Bose can patch it up one way or the other. I can see Bose not releasing brand new LS with Dolby Atmos until LS600/650 generate more money for them at the expense of Bose faithfuls’ satisfaction.
TCLT
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2017

Does Bose monitor this at all? Upgrading the 650 would be nice. It is so new not to have this functionality. I would not even mind paying for an upgrade.

GuyinPA75
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

@Squadie wrote:
Bose has changed a 5.1 system to a 5.2, av systems from 2016 has had firmware updates to enable Dolby Atmos, let this be the engineers holy grail to enable their existing machines to 5.1.2 for Atmos.

@Squadiemaybe but guess what with the 650?

Bose IS NOT EVEN future proofing the 650 by allowing upgrade to the HDMI 2.1 eARC for Atmos or DTS:X. That has been confirmed now.

Yep! Spent $4000 on a system that will be obsolete in about 1 year. Just isn't that an exciting? A wasted investment of $4000. Way to go Bose. Thanks a million.

Wait . . . I mean thanks a $4000.

Squadie
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Hi GuyinPA75
earc 2.1 does have the ability to pass through top end codecs by arc connections which, i believe is more aimed at soundbars with sources connected to the Tv.
As mentioned in the earc post, as configured, the 650 cannot support this, configuration can change 🙂
I guess it's a wait out situation 🙂
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

For Dolby Atmos, you must have upfiring speakers or in-ceiling speakers.  The Bose systems have neither.  People need to read the specifications before they buy something.  If you bought a 5 speed automobile, would you complain with the manufacturer that you don't have an automatic transmission?

With a 5.1 system, which Bose is, all the signals from 7.1 or 7.1.2, etc are compressed into the 5.1 signal coming out of the speakers you have.

TCLT
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2017

https://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-atmos-home-theaters-questions-answered/

According to this post from Dolby it is possible to add armos support to an existing set of speakers by adding modules that send the sound to the ceiling. I would not be opposed to pay more money to add that to the 650 if they made it available or if they implemented some kind of upgrade program.
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

That would require upfiring speakers to bounce the sound off the ceiling or ceiling mounted speakers.  That is not what Bose built and sold or what we purchased.  If Bose wants to enter the Atmos ballgame, I would think they would develop an entire new system for that.  Who knows, maybe that will be their next new system.

I considered the LG SJ9 soundbar because it has the upfiring speakers and Atmos, but I decided against it because my family room has an18 feet ceiling.

TCLT
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 24, 2017

I can see that. In my case, I choose the Bose 650 because of the quality of the sound that I could get at this size footprint. I doubt that any of us who dropped 4K on a system were doing this out of 'need' and did it as a luxury item purchase for one major reason or another. I for one would love to see some option to further improve the sound I get when I watch movies while maintaining the small size of the speakers even if I have to spend more money.. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I would too.  I bought the Bose 300 because I thought it might be almost as good as the Bose 600/650 for much lower cost.  I have been thinking about upgrading to the Bose 650 and am trying to ascertain if the current sound capability of the 650 would justify the upgrade expense of $2,300.  So far, I doubt that it does.  I have no expectations that the Bose 300, 600, and 650 will ever be more than the currently are.  When Bose comes out with an Atmos system, if they ever do, I will sell my Bose 300 on eBay or Craig's List and buy the new Bose system.

However, had I been insistent on an Atmos system, I would not have bought from Bose.  I probably would have gone with a quality 7.2.4 receiver and in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.