Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Re:

The Bose team is working tirelessly on Dolby Atmos.  Adding Dolby Atmos is a great idea and Bose wants its customers to have the very best.  Bose will continue working on this issue, so don’t feel you have to keep asking.

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Re:

Please post a link to where you got this information.  I would like to think Bose is working on an Atmos system, but I have never seen any indication they actually are.  Thanks.

Participant
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Re: Re: Dolby Atmos

Dear Bose,

Thank you for your reply. 

We look forward to receiving a Dolby atmos update on the lifestyle 650 please. 

Regards

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Dolby Atoms is impossible with any existing Bose system as none of them have 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 channels and none have ceiling speakers or upfiring speakers.  If Bose ever gets into Dolby Atmos, I suspect it will be with a totally new system.

That said, I can visualize a way they could do it.  They would need to create a small amp and processor that would take the 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos signal and send the overhead sounds to two or four new overhead speakers.  The processor would need to strip out the 5.1 signal and pass it to the existing Bose 5.1 system.  I would be willing to pay $500 for such an add-on to my Bose Soundtouch 300.

Participant
Registered since

Mar 23, 2020

Thanks for your reply - let’s hope Bose can come up with something as Dolby Atmos is the way forward (I think). 

Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Dolby Atoms is impossible with any existing Bose system as none of them have 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 channels and none have ceiling speakers or upfiring speakers.  If Bose ever gets into Dolby Atmos, I suspect it will be with a totally new system.

That said, I can visualize a way they could do it.  They would need to create a small amp and processor that would take the 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos signal and send the overhead sounds to two or four new overhead speakers.  The processor would need to strip out the 5.1 signal and pass it to the existing Bose 5.1 system.  I would be willing to pay $500 for such an add-on to my Bose Soundtouch 300.

After the investment Bose has made with Airplay 2 Hardware upgrades to SoundTouch gear, anything is possible.

I think what is more likely, Bose will add up-firing drivers to a new soundbar. Another option, an Atmos enabled Acoustimass system for physical presence speakers.

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Yes, I think this is the obvious way forward for Bose.  The existing Bose systems have been around long enough that a totally new Dolby Atmos system would be a great move for Bose.

Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Arunrehal wrote:

Thanks for your reply - let’s hope Bose can come up with something as Dolby Atmos is the way forward (I think). 

This will be a question for the Bose marketing department. Difficult to say if there is enough of an Atmos installed base out there too entice Bose to undertake research and development for what really amounts to additional channels in the Dolby/DTS feature creep race.

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I wonder what percentage of newly released movies are in Dolby Atmos?  I think that would be the factor that would determine if Bose should do Dolby Atmos.  Seems like it would be relatively easy to introduce a 5.1.2 system using their wireless technology to the rear and overhead speakers.

Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I wonder what percentage of newly released movies are in Dolby Atmos?  I think that would be the factor that would determine if Bose should do Dolby Atmos.  Seems like it would be relatively easy to introduce a 5.1.2 system using their wireless technology to the rear and overhead speakers.

Agree. In fact some of the Bose gear is going out with HDMI e-ARC which is required to carry the higher bandwith Atmos codecs.

The major streaming services are supporting Atmos, according to Dolby labs.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html