Oct 20, 2015

Re: DOLBY ATMOS

Thank you
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If the Bose 600 or Bose 650 was an Atmos system, I would swap my Bose 300 for one or the other.  However, since they are not, I'm trying to ascertain if an upgrade is warranted for the same 5.1 capability.  I think, probably not.  When and if Bose comes out with an Atmos system, I'll sell my Bose 300 system and upgrade.  And, of course, it will cost more than the current Bose 650.  How could it not?

Drake2953
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

So my sound touch 300 system recently updated and the Dolby Atmos setting on my Xbox now works. I honestly don't know if this is a hug in my Xbox or sound touch because I was under the understanding it didn't support this yet. Any ideas?
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Your Bose Soundtouch 300 cannot play Dolby Atmos because you do not have any upward firing speakers.  Not only that, but the Bose Soundtouch 300 cannot do anything higher than Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.  I believe, but am not certain, that if you have a device that decodes Dolby Atmos, then it will get down converted to 5.1 with all the sounds combined into your 5 speakers plus the subwoofer.  I don't think any sound gets lost, they just aren't firing at the ceiling as Dolby Atmos.  Why you are now seeing that light and not before, I have no idea.

Drake2953
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

I can do 5.2 now
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

That's 5.1 with 2 subwoofers playing the same sound.  There are not 2 separate subwoofer channels.  That has nothing to do with Dolby Atmos.

johnzy
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 19, 2016

Hi Jim

Pardon my ignorence on this.. does this mean decompression to 7.1 or 9.1 could be a possibility

Johnzy
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@orenium wrote:
Joining the request.
I own Bose's Cinemate 130 and it's unlikely to think that such an expansive and advance audio system wouldn't get the newest technology via OTA update.
Oren.

Interesting point considering the 130 bars have some kind of  upfiring speaker magic built in.

GreggB
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 15, 2018

With respect, I understand where you are coming from.  Bose use to offer a 6.1 system several years ago but that was it.  I wish they would’ve kept going.  Anytime I’m purchasing A.V. equipment I always find out what the total system features are to meet my specific needs because not everyone has the same setup or the same needs. My Onkyo receiver is Dolby Atmos and DTS-X compatible and I have that specific setup in my family room.  Before I dropped a little over $1,000 I made sure the receiver was well equipped with all of the features I wanted.  The same with my BOSE speaker set up. I researched it.  I’m wondering if you did the same thing.  Bose products are NOT cheap so before you purchase(d) a Bose system did you not find out what the receiver decoded??  It’s not fair to bash BOSE for failing to do the research you should have done.  Simply demanding ATMOS won’t make it happen.  ATMOS is software AND hardware so simply implementing a firmware update won’t solve the issue.  ATMOS is still a fairly new technology that has just seemed to get its footing in the A.V. industry despite having been available to the public for 3 years or so.  The majority of Blu-Ray movies aren’t even processed in ATMOS or DTS-X, they are still 5.1 or 7.1 surround format.  The majority of people who purchase BOSE products mainly want 3 things but their order depends on the customer and thats 1. Ease of use/set up, 2 their BOSE sound quality, and 3 looks (its look doesn’t dominate the room with huge components).  That may be one of the reasons they haven’t expanded away from 5.1 setups.   Before you spend ANY money on ANY form of technology make sure you’ve done your research because if you end up purchasing something that a few months down the road doesn’t meet your needs than you shouldn’t blame anyone else but yourself.  I wish BOSE would get into the ATMOS market.  I wish they would sell individual speakers so I can create my own setup but they don’t.  I had to purchase 2 Acoustimass 10 Series 5 speaker systems (at 999.99 +tax each!) just so I could have 4 matching overhead ATMOS ceiling speakers but why should they, especially when there are idiots out there like me that will pay the price for everything to match.  I hope this helps because I don’t mean anything I’ve said to be disrespectful to you because I understand your frustration 100%.