Highlighted
Changbp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 14, 2019

Does soundbar universal remote require wifi to control TV?

I have a soundbar500 and a universal remote to control the tv via the bose app and everything functions fine.

But everytime I power off the system for sometime and when repowered the universal remote is not able to control the TV. 

I had to turn on the wifi before the remote can control the tv again.. However without powering off I can turn off the wifi and the remote works. Why is that so? And is there a way not to have to turn on the wifi everytime?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does soundbar universal remote require wifi to control TV?

Hello Changbp, 

Thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

The standard remote that comes with the Soundbar 500 is an infra-red remote control, whereas the Universal remote (that comes standard with the Soundbar 700) is an RF remote that uses Bluetooth to establish the connection. 

With regards to TV control, please ensure the TV source is selected on the remote  (The TV icon.) Is the Soundbar unplugged from power during the time that it is unused?

Further to this, can you also confirm: 

- Make/Model of the television
- Devices you are attempting to control 

- Do the volume up/down controls work before the connection is established? 

- Are you connected to the TV via Optical or ARC? 

I will look forward to your response!

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Changbp
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 14, 2019

Hello Jeff,

I additionally purchased the universal remote(the one for soundbar700) as I wanted to control the TV with it.

The soundbar is powered, I ensured the while light illuminated and wait a short while before trying to turn on the TV with the remote. The TV is powered. I was not able to check the part about the Vol controls since the TV is not turned on yet. I can also see the white led flash whenever press any buttons on the remote.

The TV is Xiaomi 4s 50".  It is connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. 

Hello Changbp,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your Universal remote. Just to clarify once you have turned the TV on are you able to control the TV or are you not able to turn the TV on even though the remote LED's are illuminated? You mentioned that this only occurs after a leaving the system off for a long time, could you clarify roughy how long you are leaving it off? What other troubleshooting have you tried previously?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe  C