Flarex007
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

Re: Dolby Atmos using Bose 700 soundbar 5.1 system

@treoguy 

The connection looks like this

1) TV ARC HDMI --> Bose Soundbar 700 HDMI IN

2) TV HDMI IN (non ARC) --> Receiver ARC HDMI, make sure ARC function is enabled on the receiver

3) Receiver Out Hight Channels --> Overhead speakers (2 or 4 depending on preference)

4) Receiver HDMI IN (non ARC) --> UHD player or a Media player like Roku. I use Roku which supports Dolby Atmos passthrough.

Due to connection #1, you can use the soundbar for normal viewing of content that does not have Atmos, without even turning on the receiver. Just the way you would have it connected currently. Even an optical connection would work.

To get Dolby Atmos, turn on TV, Bose Soundbar, Receiver and play the Dolby Atmos content from the external device connected to the receiver.

Audio path:

The external device --> Receiver --> Overhead speaker (only the discrete height channel is passed)

The external device --> Receiver (HDMI ARC) --> TV HDMI In --> Soundbar 700 through TV HDMI ARC

Hope this helps.

The rationale behind using a 9.2 channel receiver is that I was planning to extend my setup to 4 overhead speakers. If you plan to use only 2 overhead speakers you can use a 7.2 channel receiver.

Alexioklini
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 7, 2016

Hi,

Which Receiver and TV are you using for this setup ? The reason i am asking is the fact that most AV-Receivers do not send audio to the tv and just the picture. 

Kr,

Alex 

Flarex007
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 20, 2018

All modern day receiver support ARC now, I use Pioneer - Elite 9.2-Ch (VSXLX503) receiver with Samsung Q9 TV.

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Brycepatrick wrote:

I think this will probably work too, but I have owned Bose products for a long time and when you try to get creative with them, problems arise.  I would suggest selling the SB700 or putting it in another room and try Bose separate speakers or in walls, or another brand perhaps.  On a side note, the 2 or 4 over head speakers are not used all that much (when they are it sound fantastic), so don't expect everything you watch to sound a lot better.  Drop in the new Avengers movie or Star wars and you will really experience why Atmos or DTS-X are so cool to listen too.  

Full agreement here... Bose gear is highly engineered and tightly designed to work the way it was intended. While making changes and tricking the system may appear to be working, optimum performance is not guaranteed.

A certain setup may appear to be working but the fact remains the Bose sound bars were not designed for integration with AV receivers.

I think the better approach would be to use the Bose separates like AM 10 system for front and rear application and other free standing speakers for overhead and presence, all tied in with a multichannel AV receiver is the best way to go.  

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I don't disagree, but I don't see any significant problems with this Dolby Atmos setup except for two possibilities.  First, since the overhead speakers are a different type than the Bose 5.1 speakers, I don't know if they would sound right.  Since the overhead sounds are mostly "sound effects," I doubt there is a problem.

The other small issue is I believe, but not certain, that the overhead sounds will also be part of the Bose 5.1 mix, possibly diminishing their Atmos effect.  Again, I think this is probably not an issue of any significance.

As an aside, when I listen to Tidal and Qobuz, I use Roon to send the music via ethernet to my Oppo 203 4K DVD player.  From the  Oppo, it goes HDMI out to my Bose Soundtouch 300.  While the Oppo is not an amp, the sound from the Bose is excellent.  There are no ill effects.

Actually, I think this approach would be a good way for Bose to get into the Dolby Atmos game.  They could sell an "upgrade package" for their Bose 5.1 systems.  It would consist of a small amp that separates out the overhead channels and sends these sounds to 2 or 4 wireless overhead speakers.