HELP: Poor Bass/Sound, Bose Acoustimass 10 V (AM10 V) with Onkyo AV Receiver

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

HELP: Poor Bass/Sound, Bose Acoustimass 10 V (AM10 V) with Onkyo AV Receiver

I just got my Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V with Onkyo TX-NR676. I supposed a combination of this would provide a very decent sound for watching movies and listening to music on YouTube. Apparently not.

BACKGROUND:

1. The source of movies/music is my PC.
I connected my PC to Onkyo via HDMI on the video card (the HDMI from video card is able to carry both video/audio signal). Bose AM10 connects to Onkyo. I have done auto calibration using the little mic provided by Onkyo. The sound is produced when I played audio/video file and YouTube, so I assumed the cables are connected properly.

2. The knob for bass and LFE at the Bose bass module is set just right in the middle.

3. Crossover are set to 80Hz for all. I don't think there is any setting to set the speaker large/small.

EXPECTATION:
While the setting on the Onkyo receiver could be tweaked further, I believe with setting above, the sound would be pretty decent with rich, warm, punchy bass. Apparently not.

ISSUE:

a. What I have is sound and bass that are mediocre. I mean the sound is there, the bass is there, but they sound shy. A bass that is supposed to be rich, warm and punchy - sounds like shy. When I watch movie, the sound is not immersive, I can feel the bass is there, but it is simply shy and does not want to go out.

b. I then increase the bass Tone/Level in the Onkyo receiver to the maximum level, the bass does increase, but still not enough. I then increase the bass/LFE knob on the bass module to the max, the bass does increase again, but it does not sound rich, warm, punchy. Instead it sounds like a bass that vibrates your room and it sounds/feels uncomfortable.

c. My suspicion: Is it possible that the bass module is (partially) defective?
Usually, a slight increase in bass level either from the receiver or from the knob would increase the bass quite significant. In my case, I maxed out everything and the bass produced should be excessive, but not in my case. I expect rich, warm and punchy bass. What I get is loud, cold, thin bass (I do not know to describe it). Like there is some frequency that the bass refuse to output. Therefore, it does not sound nice.

Again, is it possible the bass module is (partially) defective? 

Anyone here in the forum or Bose can help?

Or perhaps provide your setting and I just applied it in my receiver.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES

Re: HELP: Poor Bass/Sound, Bose Acoustimass 10 V (AM10 V) with Onkyo AV Receiver

Hi blackbirdz,

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community!

Can you make sure in the Onkyo receiver that the speaker type is set to "Large" and subwoofer is set to "On".

What is connected to the receiver?  Is this a PC or Mac computer?

Let us know so we can get this resolved.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Re: HELP: Poor Bass/Sound, Bose Acoustimass 10 V (AM10 V) with Onkyo AV Receiver

Brian,

Subwoofer is set to "ON".

Configuration is set to "5.1".

Onkyo TX-NR676 does not have the option to set the speaker as "LARGE". 

Crossover for front, surround and subwoofer are all set at "80Hz".

Impedance is set at "6 Ohm" (there is another option to set at 4 Ohm).

It is connected to PC via HDMI from the Video Card. The video card is outputing both video and audio signal.

Let me know what else I need to do. All I want to have is a bass with good punch, warm and rich.

Thanks,

Thank you for that info blackbirdz.

You can try and set the Impedance to 4 Ohms, but I don't believe this will have much impact on the quality of audio.

Have you tried a different source of audio going to the Onkyo receiver?  Maybe a cable box or DVD/Blu Ray Player?  I'd like to try and isolate the issue to see if we can determine where exactly it is originating from (either the receiver, AM10, or computer).

Do you happen to know what kind of video card and computer you have?

Best,

Brandon