Help With Soundbar 700 Remote Setup with Dish Hopper 3

Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer

Help With Soundbar 700 Remote Setup with Dish Hopper 3

Help please! I've spent hours trying to connect my Soundbar 700 Remote to my Dish Hopper 3.
I've tried every Dish* for a brand name as well as Echostar. I've tried Hopper 3 and the model number on the back for Echostar and nothing is working.
Has anyone successfully setup their universal remote to work with their Hopper 3?
Any help would be much appreciated!
TIA
3 REPLIES

Re: Help With Soundbar 700 Remote Setup with Dish Hopper 3

Hello Ty&D,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to see you've been running into issues attempting to program your Bose remote to control your Dish Hopper 3, but I'll be happy to help.

The reason why you're unable to control it at this time is that the Dish Hopper 3 is set to be controlled using RF signals instead of IR. However, you can change this in the settings menu of your Dish Hopper to accept IR commands. 

Once you have the changed the settings to accept IR commands, I would suggest trying to reprogram the Bose remote.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Wistful Whisperer

Hi Joel,
I appreciate your reply. Yes, we had already changed the setting a few years ago, so that wasn't the issue.
Apparently the remote just does not work well with the Hopper 3. The box is placed lower than the soundbar on a side table, so it's just not picking up the signal even though it's set to IR. If I lift the box up higher, it will work perfect for a bit, but the next time I go to control the box, it's lost signal again. If I set it up again, it will work at the beginning and stop once again. I was sent an IR extender, but that didn't fix the problem.
I've accepted the fact that it just doesn't work well with the Hopper 3

BTW, for those that do encounter the same problem I posted about, you'll actually use
Brand: Echostar
Model: E211440 (I entered this manually, after the auto setup didn't work, but the next time I went to set it up, the codes have been added)

Hello Ty&D,

Thanks for the additional information! It seems most likely that the problem is centered around the IR receiver in the Hopper 3 not being able to "see" the signal. If you locate the position of the IR sensor in the Hopper 3 and place it such that it's in direct line of sight with your viewing position, does that improve communication? Also, if you are using a glass table or other reflective surface you might try pulling the Hopper 3 out to the edge to help prevent additional interference. 

Let us know what you find! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support