Highlighted
jimmykent
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 29, 2017

Hiding 700 Sub Module. Possible?

I would like to get a 700 sound bar with a sub but I need to make the sub "disappear".  Three options I'm thinking about are:

1) Build a cabinet to hold a 700 sub module and mount it under the floor with the sound ported into the room through a floor vent.

2) Find a legacy Bose Acoustimass bass module, remove the front cover and mount it directly under a vent in the floor facing up into the room.

3)  Build a custom sub to mount under the floor and port into the room through a floor vent.

Option 1 would most likely reduce the efficiency of the 700 sub module, but could it still be adequate for someone that doesn't need to shake the room, just fill out the low end.

Option 2 would require finding an old Bose sub with two drivers and sound port facing the front. I'm not sure of the model, but I've seen pictures.

Option 3 would require knowing the detailed specs in order to tune the home-made sub properly, e.g., crossover settings. Is that even possible to get specs with that detail from Bose?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Brycepatrick
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Re: Hiding 700 Sub Module. Possible?

Hi and welcome to the Bose forum.  You have found the right place for help and we are glad you posted.  Personally, I wouldn't use any of those options, I think you will have problems from vibrations or other issues may arise.  I guess if I had to choose one of those options, id go with option 1. 

Why cant you just put the base module under a coffee table or somewhere else in the room, its really not that big.  My wife hates speakers and wires and we have ours next to our TV and she loves the way it looks. 

On a side not, I really dont recommend option 2.  

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

2019-11-08 14.02.10.jpgYou cannot do what you're trying to do.  The sub will not perform properly.  Just put it in any corner of the room and move it around a little to get more or less bass effect.  Ours sits centered under a window a few feet to the side of our TV cabinet with a plant sitting on top of it.  It's behind a chair that sits in that corner of the room.  It sound great and looks good also.  I get it.  My wife hates speakers also.  That's why I got rid of my Bose Acoustimass 5 and 7 and got a Bose Soundtouch 300.

Brycepatrick
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 25, 2019

Yes, Jim is really correct on this any of those options are really just bad idea, some more then others.  

Hey Jim, thats a really nice looking tv stand, did you paint it that off white color or did it come that way?

Xyz987
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks.  My wife bought that somewhere and that's exactly how it came.  Turns out, my best friend has one exactly like it, so it must be pretty common.  At first, I thought it was a little too tall, but it's actually perfect.