Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Home Theater System: 700 Series vs Acoustimass

Hi,

I have a 65” LG C9 that I’m looking to add some nice sound to. The TV already has WiFi, Bluetooth, and Alexa, and the only input I have is one HDMI for an Xfinity Cable Box (just use Netflix and Hulu otherwise). 

I’m torn between getting the Bose 700 System (Soundbar 700, Surround Speakers, and Bass 700 Module), vs the Acoustimas 10 Series V with a receiver. Would one option be particularly better for my setup? A lot of the new features in the 700 series including WiFi connectivity and Alexa I don’t really need, so am strictly speaking in terms of sound quality. Living room is standard size, nothing huge (400 sq feet). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Home Theater System: 700 Series vs Acoustimass

Author Accepted Answer selected by cdubs14

I have an LG 65C7P OLED and Bose Soundtouch 300 with Acoustimass 300 bass module and rear surround speakers.  It works perfectly, but if I had it to do over again, I would get a Bose Acoustimass 10 and 3rd party receiver.  Personally, I would not get a Bose Soundbar 700 based on all the problem threads posted here.  Maybe those issues have been resolved, IDK.

There are probably two main reasons, I would get the Bose Acoustimass 10 and 3rd party receiver.  First, I would get a Dolby Atmos receiver and add a second Bose Acoustimass 10 to create a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 Dolby Atmos system.  Secondly, I would add a pair of high quality stereo speakers for listening to high resolution music.  Bose is good, but ....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by cdubs14

I have an LG 65C7P OLED and Bose Soundtouch 300 with Acoustimass 300 bass module and rear surround speakers.  It works perfectly, but if I had it to do over again, I would get a Bose Acoustimass 10 and 3rd party receiver.  Personally, I would not get a Bose Soundbar 700 based on all the problem threads posted here.  Maybe those issues have been resolved, IDK.

There are probably two main reasons, I would get the Bose Acoustimass 10 and 3rd party receiver.  First, I would get a Dolby Atmos receiver and add a second Bose Acoustimass 10 to create a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 Dolby Atmos system.  Secondly, I would add a pair of high quality stereo speakers for listening to high resolution music.  Bose is good, but ....

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

This is really valuable feedback thank you! Is Dolby Atmos a feature that Bose can choose to add to the 700 system over a software update? Since the TV has Atmos capability I’m wondering if on the speaker side if it would just be a software not hardware change.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No, Dolby Atmos is a hardware issue as much as software.  Some soundbars actually have upward firing speakers included, but I doubt how well they actually work, especially it your ceilings are over 14 feet.  You really need 2 or 4 ceiling mounted speakers.  I guess, in theory, Bose could sell some sort of add-on system, but I'm not holding my breath.  I suspect that if Bose ever does Dolby Atmos, it would be an entirely new system with all the appropriate wireless speakers.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Ah ok gotcha. Yeah the Acoustimass System also seems future proof: can always upgrade the technology sending out the signal to each of the speakers. With the Bose 700 series you’re stuck with what’s in each device for converting digital audio->sound.

Last question lol: do you know if there is a sound quality difference between the 700 system and Bose Acoustimass?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No, but I suspect 5 discrete speakers has got to be better then a soundbar with rear surrounds.