Home speaker 300 drops sound intermittently

Bose product name

Home Speaker 300

Country

UK

Firmware Version

1.1.10-643+e59b07d

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
Playing music from YouTube on Lenovo Ideapad laptop running Windows 10.  Similar problem with audio from a Teams meeting through the same laptop.

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Playing music through youtube or itunes I notice that the sound keeps cutting out very briefly. Perhaps just for a second or less.  But it usually happens a handful of times in quite quick succession. At first I thought it might have been youtube buffering but that is not the cause.  It can be working fine for 30 mins or so and then get another spate of audio cutouts. A similar thing happened when I used it for the audio of a Teams meeting. I put that down to Teams at the time but now suspect it was the speaker.  This is now the second Home speaker 300 I have owned (the previous one had to be replaced because of a problem with software updates).  And the previous speaker had similar issues, both when playing from my iphone and from laptop.  Using bluetooth connection in both cases.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet kitchen and living room.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

I noticed it on the first day of using this speaker.  I've only had it for a week or so.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I unplugged it for a minute or so, restarted but no joy.  Looked on the forum but I don't see other people having similar problems.  Will be grateful for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marvin_B

Re: Home speaker 300 drops sound intermittently

Author Accepted Answer selected by JamieSpurway

Hi JamieSpurway!

Thank you for getting back to us. Sorry that you still have the issue on the speaker.

Looking at your firmware, you have the old version. It is on version 7 now. This is the reason why you are having issues with the Bluetooth connection. 

Please try to update the firmware using a computer and USB cable. Here are the steps: Updating using a computer and USB cable

Let us know how it went.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Liam_G

Hello JamieSpurway and welcome to the Community! Sorry to hear you are having issues but I will be happy to help you. 

It sounds like it could be an issue with Bluetooth, I recommend that you try our troubleshooting suggestions from our support page here.
Have you also tested the speaker with the Bose Music app to ensure that Wi-Fi connection isn't having the same issue? 

Look forward to hear from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
JamieSpurway
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions.  Playing a radio station through the app does not seem to have the same problem.  I only tried briefly but plugging the speaker in via headphone jack also seems ok.  So it may well be that bluetooth is the issue.  I have not found that I get the same problem with my Bose soundlink colour 2 though - and it is connected through bluetooth.  I did go through the bluetooth trouble-shooting link that you provided but I don't think any of that list is relevant to me. Certainly the speaker and laptop are v close together. Going through the device manager process I did not see a power management tab after right-clicking on any of the bluetooth options.  I didn't know that bluetooth can pick up interference from other devices plugged in nearby.  The speaker and my laptop are both plugged into the same extension cable.  I'll try playing around with that setup. 

If that does not resolve it, maybe my nearby Bose shop would be able to take a look?

Marvin_B

Author Accepted Answer selected by JamieSpurway

Hi JamieSpurway!

Thank you for getting back to us. Sorry that you still have the issue on the speaker.

Looking at your firmware, you have the old version. It is on version 7 now. This is the reason why you are having issues with the Bluetooth connection. 

Please try to update the firmware using a computer and USB cable. Here are the steps: Updating using a computer and USB cable

Let us know how it went.

View solution in original post

JamieSpurway
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2021

Thanks Marvin, (fingers crossed) it seems that worked! I did have to follow the longer process because the first update didn't work, but after updating to 1.1.11 and then to the newer version it seems to be working fine.  No sudden audio gaps in nearly 30 mins. 
Appreciate your help, Jamie

JamieSpurway
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2021

Infuriatingly, it's just started cutting out again! 😖  The Bose Music app confirms that I'm now on firmware version 7.0.11-2327+b43665d.  Any other thoughts, or should I request a service?

Marvin_B

Hi again JamieSpurway!

Great it is starting to work as it is intended!

Now, I would suggest that you unpair the speaker with the phone, tablet or computer and then clear it Bluetooth list. Pair it again after.

Here is the LINK on how you can do it.

Let us know how you got on.

JamieSpurway
Participant
Registered since

May 4, 2021

I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem is solved now! I went through the process of unpairing the speaker that you linked to. Been going for at least two hours without any drops.  Here's hoping it continues!  Thanks for your help again.