jakej
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2020

Home theater question

Hi Everyone.  I recently purchased a condo with Bose speakers that have been meticulously placed in the living room.  

Screen shot of one of the speakers:

https://imgur.com/a/uCzkoqy

There are 4 of these place around the corner ceiling.  However I am missing the module that connects the speakers and the central speaker.  I am unsure which version the speakers are but I think they are part of the acoustimass product line.   

Will I be able to purchase any version of the acoustimass module that will connect the speakers? I will also need to purchase a central speaker.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Home theater question

Author Accepted Answer selected by jakej

Those Bose double cubes could be used with just about any of the older Bose Acoustimass modules that support 5 speakers.  I'm sure you can find what you need on eBay.  For a receiver you'll need something that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 plus another double cube for your center speaker.

I once built a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system by using two Bose Acoustimass modules and 5 redline double cubes.  I used a Bose Acoustimass 7 for front left, center, and right, and a Bose Acoustimass 5 for rear left and right.  I had an Onkyo 7.1 receiver and also added a Klipsch subwoofer.  It sounded great.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I've run into this a lot before.  Generally people selling the house think they get more money by including the Bose system, but then take the console and accoustimass thinking they can add speakers to that at the new house.

Unfortunately both sides lose, because you can't buy separate pieces from Bose.  The only way to do it is purchasing second hand items.

Those speakers were in a range of products, but it's not as important which way you go. 

If you want to go with a third party amp, you will need an Accoustimass module (this would have been the AM10/15). 

If you want a Lifestyle system you will need a different Accoustimass module and a Lifestyle console and remote.  The AM and console need to be the same version, so buying them 2nd hand separately can be difficult.

jakej
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2020

This is super helpful, thank you.

I am just looking into purchasing the module and a center speaker (I've found some, relatively cheap).

I also need to buy a receiver, correct?

Any other issues that you may think I need to take into consideration? 

Again, thank you much.

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by jakej

Those Bose double cubes could be used with just about any of the older Bose Acoustimass modules that support 5 speakers.  I'm sure you can find what you need on eBay.  For a receiver you'll need something that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 plus another double cube for your center speaker.

I once built a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system by using two Bose Acoustimass modules and 5 redline double cubes.  I used a Bose Acoustimass 7 for front left, center, and right, and a Bose Acoustimass 5 for rear left and right.  I had an Onkyo 7.1 receiver and also added a Klipsch subwoofer.  It sounded great.

View solution in original post

jakej
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2020

Thank you all so very much!!

Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

"Those Bose double cubes could be used with just about any of the older Bose Acoustimass modules that support 5 speakers"

You do have to be careful here when you say "any" of the older Acoustimass modules, because it could be a module from the Lifestyle system and not the Acoustimass system.  Make sure it has the speaker wire input not the Bose cable.