SN
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2019

How to connect chromecast to soundbar through a HDMI splitter

I have a TV which does not have HDMI eARC. I have a normal Chromecast which I need to connect to TV for video, and get its sound from Soundbar.

For this I have got a HDMI splitter which I used to connect the chromecast to TV and the soundbar. But I am not getting the sound from the soundbar. Kindly advise how to get sound from soundbar from the program showing on chromecast.

Should I use an optical extractor to which the Chromecast can be connected and the optical out from this splitter to be connected to the soundbar (the hdmi output from the optical extractor will be connected to TV)?

10 REPLIES 10
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: How to connect chromecast to soundbar through a HDMI splitter

You don't need to get sound from the soundbar.  You need to get sound to the soundbar.  What soundbar do you have?  Does your Chromecast use HDMI?  If so, you need to find an HDMI port on your TV or soundbar in which to plug the Chromecast.  Usually, it works best to plug into an HDMI port on your TV.  If there is not one available, does your soundbar have a second HDMI you can use?  For instance, my Bose Soundtouch 300 has an HDMI ARC connected to the TV, but it also has another HDMI in port that I use to connect other devices.

Depending on where you plug it in, you will need to use your TV's switching to switch to the port that had the Chromecast.  If plugged into your soundbar, use the Bose switching.

Highlighted
SN
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2019

I have Bose sound bar 700, which has only one HDMI eARC port. My Chromecast has HDMI output. But TV does not have HDMI eARC port, but has only HDMI inputs.

You are correct in saying that I need to take sound to the sound bar.

How do i take the sound of Chromecast to the sound bar? I also need to take the video to the TV. The TV does only have HDMI inputs, but no outputs or eARC. Hence if I connect the Chromecast HDMI output to the TV HDMI input, then I am unable to take the Chromecast sound output to the Sound bar 700.

How do I take the sound of Chromecast to the sound bar 700 and simultaneously take the Chromecast video to the TV HDMI input?

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

How is your soundbar connected to your TV?  You should be able to connect your Chromecast to any unused HDMI on your TV and the sound will pass through the TV to the soundbar.  Using your TV remote, you will simply have to choose the proper HDMI input to watch and listen to your Chromecast.

Hello SN,

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

So you have the Soundbar connected to the TV through the HDMI eARC port, which means that the Chromecast can plug in to a normal HDMI port on the TV. The audio will be routed through to the Soundbar. 

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

SN
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2019

Let me clarify:

1.) I dont have HDMI eARC on my TV. My TV has three HDMI inputs (no eARC).

2.) My soundbar is connected to the satellite receiver optical output. This plays the sound from satellite receiver on the soundbar.

3.) The HDMI output of satellite receiver is connected to one of the HDMI inputs of TV to show video.

4.) I want to connect Chromecast sound output to my soundbar. The Chromecast has only one HDMI output. I also want to connect Chromecast video to my TV HDMI input.

How do I do it?

Hello SN,

Apologies for the confusion. 

Does your satellite receiver have HDMI ports?

Does your TV have optical out?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

SN
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2019

Satellite receiver has HDMI output (no HDMI eARC on satellite receiver) which I am using to connect to TV HDMI input for video. Satellite receiver also has optical output which I connect to sound bar 700 optical input to listen to its audio.

TV has no optical output.

But TV has spare HDMI inputs (no eARC).

Hi there @SN and thanks for following up!

I understand here! Your TV does not have a direct supported output port to the Soundbar, so you're taking audio directly from the source (Satellite box) to the Soundbar 700 without passing this through the TV. Your TV is then connected to the Satellite box via HDMI to receive the video on screen.

While this setup works for a single source, as you are now using a second source; your Chromecast; you're not able to feed the sound down to the Soundbar.

In an ideal setup, you would have a HDMI cable connecting each of your sources to the TV, then feeding an audio cable down to the Soundbar. This audio cable would either be an optical cable or a HDMI ARC cable if your TV had an ARC port. 

In this situation, your TV does not directly support our Soundbar 700 through cable, but there are suggestions that I would suggest 😊.

The first would be to connect your inputs to the TV via HDMI, then use an output cable from your TV with an adapter. For example, if your TV has an AUX output, then you might want to try an AUX-->Optical adapter to feed that audio down to the Soundbar. This would depend on what audio outputs your TV does have!

My other suggestion would depend on the type of adapter that is used, but you could use an audio extractor that would collect your HDMI inputs from the Chromecast and Satellite boxes, and convert this to a single video and single audio output that you could swap between. You could then feed the audio cable to the Soundbar, and the video cable up to the TV.

You can find the above converters/extractors online. While I can't give you any kind of specific recommendations, there may be members of the Community who do use either of these methods as a solution, and I would ask that they chip in here to give you an idea.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Liam W

SN
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2019

Thank you for a clear and precise reply.

I think the Aux --> Optical will not transmit 5.1 ch sound i think. It will only handle 2 ch sound. Am I correct?

The video output you are referring to from the audio extractor will be in HDMI I suppose?

Similarly the audio from the audio extractor will be in Optical I think?

Please confirm. Also confirm that the audio extractor you are referring to will work without ARC channel on any of the devices.

I am also having the information that Dolby Digital Plus cannot be handled by Optical cable. It needs only HDMI.