Highlighted
jphan
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

How to disable automatic standby on Bose Companion 5?

Please help... I know that there is no hardware supporting Bose Companion 5 to disable automatic standby... But how can I manually change this?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to disable automatic standby on Bose Companion 5?

Hi there @jphan , and welcome to the Community!

When both the USB connection from your computer and the input signal of a connected audio source are inactive for several minutes, the system mutes the speakers and switches to a reduced power mode. The system returns to the Muted mode when the USB connection becomes active again.

While there is no conventional way to prevent this system from going into standby automatically, you can manually take this system out of standby by touching the "Mode Switch" on the control pod.

A Red LED would indicate "Inactive Mode", which is the standby mode. An Amber LED indicates "Muted Mode", and a Green LED is "Active Mode". each touch of the control pod will cycle between these.

Plugging in a pair of headphones will always put this in muted mode until they are removed.

As noted earlier, there are unconventional ways to prevent the system from going to standby automatically, such as playing constant audio at a very low volume (which would mean that this is constantly active and won't go to standby), but these will mean the speaker is draining more power, and are not recommended for long term use.

I hope this helps, and please get back to me with any questions/queries at all!

Liam W - Community Support

jphan
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Thank you Liam for a quick response. 

I forgot to mention that I am using Companion 5 previously with Chromcast Audio, and currently with Echo Dot. It's just annoying that whenever the Companion went to sleep mode, it won't automatically wake up unless I press on the control pod. This is especially inconvenient when the purpose of using Alexa with Echo Dot is handsfree, and now everytime I want to use Alexa through Bose, I have to manually press the control pod, which is quite counter-intuitive.

I have read on some forums that this can be fixed by plugging Airport express through the USB input Port, which means Airport Express probably constantly sends signals to prevent the device from going to sleep. I don't have an airport express, but I have a spare Wifi Router, and I will try out this method. I also heard of a method where people disconnect some yellow or white wires to disable, but this seems too risky for me, so I will take a pass on this.

Phil1234
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

I have the same problem. Does a new adapter exists that replaces this old mechanic one?