Participant
Registered since

Nov 15, 2020

How to set optical audio output without screen menu

I have a older Bose Lifestyle home cinema system (without HDMI output, but SCART output) and want to enable optical audio output instead of the regular output (as could be done as follows: https://www.bosebelgium.be/nl_be/support/article/enabling-the-optical-digital-input-for-an-audio-sou...).

However, as my TV doesn’t have a SCART entry, I cannot connect my screen output to the TV in order to trigger the visual menu to change this setting. Any workaround so I don’t have to use that visual menu in order to do this?

3 REPLIES 3
Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: How to set optical audio output without screen menu

@Bxrtnnn wrote:

I have a older Bose Lifestyle home cinema system (without HDMI output, but SCART output) and want to enable optical audio output instead of the regular output (as could be done as follows: https://www.bosebelgium.be/nl_be/support/article/enabling-the-optical-digital-input-for-an-audio-sou...).

However, as my TV doesn’t have a SCART entry, I cannot connect my screen output to the TV in order to trigger the visual menu to change this setting. Any workaround so I don’t have to use that visual menu in order to do this?

It is not possible without seeing the menu on the screen. This was never really an issue when the systems were sold over a decade ago as back then HDMI only just got released.

I did not know what system you had, as you didn't say, but by changing the Belgium help page to an English version, I see that you have a 321 II or III system. Since the series III has an HDMI port, I can guess you have a 321 series II system.

This is what the rear of your 321 looks like:

pc-321gs-mc-back-l - Copy.jpg

I had to google the cable as I could not find it on the Bose help site or in the manual (or at least in the American or British English language sites, in the manual they only describe what SCART is):

s-l1600.jpg

You do not have to use a SCART connection. As you can see, it only connects to the S-Video & Composite out of the 321's receiver. So you can use an S-Video or Composite cable and connect it to your HDTV.

If none of your TV's have those connections, then you have to purchase a converter. From a Composite to HDMI or another converter that includes an S-Video port (this will have a bit of an image quality improvement). I do not have one of these devices so I cannot speak to their quality, but I do know that someone got their system working using the S-Video converter I mentioned here.

I do hope this answer solves your issue. Please let us know what you end up doing 🙂

Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2021

I'm trying to do the same thing but have the lifestyle series III, I can't seem to get the Samsung TU7000 tv to recognize the Bose. I have the optical cable I'm stuck not being able to view the system menu on the tv to assign the optical audio input on the Bose. Any ideas? I don't have a SCART connection on the Samsung tv so I can't try what you suggested

Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@communicorn wrote:

I'm trying to do the same thing but have the lifestyle series III, I can't seem to get the Samsung TU7000 tv to recognize the Bose. I have the optical cable I'm stuck not being able to view the system menu on the tv to assign the optical audio input on the Bose. Any ideas? I don't have a SCART connection on the Samsung tv so I can't try what you suggested

I made a guide that talks about how to connect modern HDTV's to your Lifestyle DVD receiver. I also mention some ways to connect the video to your TV.

I hope that this helps solve your question.