kenkeller
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I have a 22 year old Bose Lifestyle 5 audio system that I would like to use with my new Sony tv but I don't see any instructions in the Sony owners' manual.  It only makes reference to compatibility with sound systems that have eARC/ARC or Digital Audio Out(Optical), which older sound systems all lack.  Is there any workaround for this?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

o Re: Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I would use that old Bose for a stereo music system and purchase a proper surround sound system for your TV.  Or sell that one on eBay.

Highlighted
kenkeller
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Re: Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I discovered a solution for this problem: an inexpensive device by Gefen that converts digital audio to analog.  You plug a digital audio cable into your tv's audio out connection and into this device.  Its output consists of two conventional RCA plugs that go into your analog stereo.  There is no degradation of sound using this device, which is available on Amazon.  See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LWK3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Highlighted

Re: Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

Hey Kenkeller, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so happy that you have found a workaround for this. I am sure that it will help many other users in the future. 

If you have any other questions, please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Old Bose 564
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

Re: Replacement control console with ARC

Is there a replacement control console for the old Lifestyle  V35 with HDMI ARC?

Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Replacement control console with ARC

No