cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenkeller
Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I have a 22 year old Bose Lifestyle 5 audio system that I would like to use with my new Sony tv but I don't see any instructions in the Sony owners' manual.  It only makes reference to compatibility with sound systems that have eARC/ARC or Digital Audio Out(Optical), which older sound systems all lack.  Is there any workaround for this?

7 REPLIES 7
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

o Re: Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I would use that old Bose for a stereo music system and purchase a proper surround sound system for your TV.  Or sell that one on eBay.

kenkeller
Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Re: Is there a workaround for using an old Bose system with a new tv?

I discovered a solution for this problem: an inexpensive device by Gefen that converts digital audio to analog.  You plug a digital audio cable into your tv's audio out connection and into this device.  Its output consists of two conventional RCA plugs that go into your analog stereo.  There is no degradation of sound using this device, which is available on Amazon.  See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LWK3A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vicky_W

Hey Kenkeller, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am so happy that you have found a workaround for this. I am sure that it will help many other users in the future. 

If you have any other questions, please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Old Bose 564
Participant
Registered since

Jan 19, 2020

Re: Replacement control console with ARC

Is there a replacement control console for the old Lifestyle  V35 with HDMI ARC?

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Replacement control console with ARC

No

tmerical
Participant
Registered since

Dec 24, 2020

Interesting.  Could you explain specifically, exactly how that works?  You physically have that device, hooked it up and hear a sound output?  I read the same thing online over and over, bought the best device for this, even converts 5.1; and it DO NOT WORK.  So, have you actually done this or just ‘discovering’ other’s ‘research’ which no one really can do?  I’ll wash your feet with Olive Oil and blindly give you a back massage if you can instruct me to how this actually works.

TCMIII

Cutty201
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

Do you have 2 speakers or 5? Though the digital to analog is one option — I would recommended replacing the lifestyle amp. Any 5.1 receiver with optical inputs will put you in a better place. Just plug the sub pre-out into the bass module and plug the speakers directly into the receiver left and right. Rather than from the bass module