Clemson50
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

LifeStyle 35 Series III Question

I bought a new Samsung 65 Premium Start 4K UHD HDR TV, already had my LifeStyle 28/35 Series III DVD Home Entertainment System.  Bought TV Through Best Buy and hired Geek Squad to hook up.  After nearly and hour and checking all connections i was told the Bose was getting power but was not compatible with my new TV.  I know this not the case but need to prove to them to be able to have them come back out and wire up correctly.  Does anyone have any information that can help me.  We are also running our Cable (Xfinity) through all.  Sorry giving a lot of specific information but not very technical.  I can provide serial numbers for both also if it will help further.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: LifeStyle 35 Series III Question

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Liam_W

It's this simple.  Your TV is a new, highly capable 4K TV with the best video available (Dolby Vision).  Your Bose is old and outdated, but still sounds great.  Therefore, the ONLY thing you should use your Bose for is playing sound coming from your TV. (And listening to the radio, etc.).

So, that said, run an optical cable from your TV optical out to the Bose optical in.  That's it.  DO NOT plug any other device into the Bose.

Next, if you have any other devices, such as a new Blu-Ray or 4K DVD, plug them into your TV.  Plug your XFinity (cable TV) into your TV.  If possible, use HDMI for anything and everything plugged into your TV.  HDMI will carry both video and audio to your TV.  If the device doesn't have an HDMI out, then use whatever is available to give you the best audio and video signal to your TV.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/tv-port-guide-how-to-hook-up-tv

18 REPLIES 18
Clemson50
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Am i doing this incorrect?  This is the only post that doesn't have replies to it.  Would there be a way that one of the Bose Lifestyle systems are not compatible for any reason with a newer version TV?

Hi @Clemson50 , and welcome to the Community!

There's no need to worry, you're not doing anything wrong with your post - it's just that nobody has responded yet!

In your setup, in order to provide the best information, I may need some more information. As such, can I ask that you provide me with the following information?

1) What ports for audio does your new TV have? E.G. HDMI ARC, Optical, AUX, etc.?

2) What cable type were you using to connect this to your old TV?

3) Do you normally have your XFinity Cable-box connected to the Lifestyle system, or to the TV directly?

Please get back to me when you can!

Liam W - Community Support

Clemson50
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

1.  USB, Optical, ARC, HDMI, LAN, EX-Link.

2.  We were using RCA's

3.  Directly to the TV.

4.  Xfinity connects to Bose right now by RCA, Bose connects to TV by Optical.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/consumer_electronics/global/products/speakers/ls28_...

https://assets.bose.com/content/dam/Bose_DAM/Web/consumer_electronics/global/products/speakers/ls35_...

That's a very old Bose system.  I would just go optical out from your TV to the Bose and call it a day.  You'll need to go into your TV setting somewhere and turn-off the internal speakers and turn on audio out to HDMI/Optical.

If you have any other devices you want to use the Bose sound system, you can plug them into your TV with HDMI or optical.  There is no reason to send video to the Bose.  I would connect XFinity to the TV.

That is a very capable TV.  I would not route anything from the Bose to that TV lest the picture might get down converted by the Bose.  Just think of the Bose as an external sound system, nothing more.  Use all HDMI connections to your TV if possible, except the optical to the Bose.

PS: A Clemson graduate should be able to figure this out.  NCSU here.  Go Tigers & Wolfpack!

Thank you for getting back to me!

As noted by @Xyz987, the easiest solution in your situation would be to connect this via the optical cable, turn off the TV speakers and set the speakers from the TV to the optical out audio.

As you noted that the Geek Squad team were not able to get this to play, I would advise that you check this with multiple cable types and constantly reference this back to the TV settings to ensure that the correct audio output is selected.

The easiest way to test this would be to leave something playing through the TV, then try the other cable types and swap the external speakers until you find an option that you are happy with.

Please try these options and get back to me to let me know how this goes!

Liam W

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

HDMI is the best way to connect for video and audio combined.  When HDMI is not available, optical is basically the exact same audio quality without the video.  There is no reason to try any other cables.

EDIT:  Unless you want to send video from the Bose to the TV for some reason.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

By the way, the ONLY reason I would see to send video from your Bose to your new Samsung TV is if you watch DVD's using the Bose.  I suggest you not do that with this old Bose and purchase a new Blu-Ray or 4K DVD player and plug it into one of your TV's HDMI ports.

Clemson50
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Thank you everyone, so this is where i struggle:

Optical straight from TV to Bose, no need thru Xfinity?  Optical from TV to Xfinity in and Xfinity Out to Bose In?

Outside Cable straight to TV or to Xfinity in and then out ot TV?

I am not planning on using the DVD feature but do like the stereo, i still have the antenea plugged in although it currently does not have sound.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Liam_W

It's this simple.  Your TV is a new, highly capable 4K TV with the best video available (Dolby Vision).  Your Bose is old and outdated, but still sounds great.  Therefore, the ONLY thing you should use your Bose for is playing sound coming from your TV. (And listening to the radio, etc.).

So, that said, run an optical cable from your TV optical out to the Bose optical in.  That's it.  DO NOT plug any other device into the Bose.

Next, if you have any other devices, such as a new Blu-Ray or 4K DVD, plug them into your TV.  Plug your XFinity (cable TV) into your TV.  If possible, use HDMI for anything and everything plugged into your TV.  HDMI will carry both video and audio to your TV.  If the device doesn't have an HDMI out, then use whatever is available to give you the best audio and video signal to your TV.

https://www.cabletv.com/blog/tv-port-guide-how-to-hook-up-tv