JT3044
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

Lifestyle 18 Optical Input Not Working

Hello All.  I'm in the USA and I have a Lifestyle 18 Model AV18 Media Center that stopped being able to receive the optical audio from my LG smart TV.  I've had the TV sound connected to the Bose through an optical cord for approximately 5 years now and it has been working flawlessly.  Nothing has recently changed or been added to the system.  All was working fine until this morning when I turned on the TV with the Bose system and no sound was heard.  I tried a different optical cord and connecting a cd player with the optical cord but there is still no sound.  I checked the TV settings to ensure the selection was still on external speaker and it was.  I then checked the settings on the Bose system and they were still set correctly to TV.

With the optical cord plugged into the TV, the end that connects to the Bose has a red light so the signal is coming through.  Is it possible that the optical connection on the Bose system has gone bad?  If so does anyone know if this could be replaced or repaired?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Lifestyle 18 Optical Input Not Working

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

@JT3044 wrote:

Hello All.  I'm in the USA and I have a Lifestyle 18 Model AV18 Media Center that stopped being able to receive the optical audio from my LG smart TV.  I've had the TV sound connected to the Bose through an optical cord for approximately 5 years now and it has been working flawlessly.  Nothing has recently changed or been added to the system.  All was working fine until this morning when I turned on the TV with the Bose system and no sound was heard. 

I tried a different optical cord and connecting a cd player with the optical cord but there is still no sound. 

I checked the TV settings to ensure the selection was still on external speaker and it was.  I then checked the settings on the Bose system and they were still set correctly to TV.

Sounds like you did a lot of good troubleshooting with the cable and settings. Did you also reboot the system? Did you reboot the TV? A lot of times a hard reset will fix issues with any technology device.

@JT3044 wrote:

With the optical cord plugged into the TV, the end that connects to the Bose has a red light so the signal is coming through.  

Possibly, though that is no guarantee as another user here recently discovered. Can you try another Optical device? If you can hear sound from a connected Blu-ray player or cable box using optical it would mean the issue would be with the TV and not the receiver.

@JT3044 wrote:

Is it possible that the optical connection on the Bose system has gone bad?  If so does anyone know if this could be replaced or repaired?

Not sure, but if a reboot doesn't fix it you might want to look for an Optical to Digital Coax converter. I talk about them in this guide I made to help people get the most out of their Bose DVD receivers.

I hope that my reply might help figure out and solve your issue. Let us know what happens 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

@JT3044 wrote:

Hello All.  I'm in the USA and I have a Lifestyle 18 Model AV18 Media Center that stopped being able to receive the optical audio from my LG smart TV.  I've had the TV sound connected to the Bose through an optical cord for approximately 5 years now and it has been working flawlessly.  Nothing has recently changed or been added to the system.  All was working fine until this morning when I turned on the TV with the Bose system and no sound was heard. 

I tried a different optical cord and connecting a cd player with the optical cord but there is still no sound. 

I checked the TV settings to ensure the selection was still on external speaker and it was.  I then checked the settings on the Bose system and they were still set correctly to TV.

Sounds like you did a lot of good troubleshooting with the cable and settings. Did you also reboot the system? Did you reboot the TV? A lot of times a hard reset will fix issues with any technology device.

@JT3044 wrote:

With the optical cord plugged into the TV, the end that connects to the Bose has a red light so the signal is coming through.  

Possibly, though that is no guarantee as another user here recently discovered. Can you try another Optical device? If you can hear sound from a connected Blu-ray player or cable box using optical it would mean the issue would be with the TV and not the receiver.

@JT3044 wrote:

Is it possible that the optical connection on the Bose system has gone bad?  If so does anyone know if this could be replaced or repaired?

Not sure, but if a reboot doesn't fix it you might want to look for an Optical to Digital Coax converter. I talk about them in this guide I made to help people get the most out of their Bose DVD receivers.

I hope that my reply might help figure out and solve your issue. Let us know what happens 🙂

View solution in original post

JT3044
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

I did not try a reboot of the TV and the Lifestyle, that's a great idea.  I did try another optical device and had the same silent result.

It looks like a reboot and if that doesn't work I'll check out a converter after looking at the link you supplied.  Thank You Very Much.

JT3044
Participant
Registered since

May 12, 2021

NeonsNight - The reboot fixed the problem, I can't thank you enough!  I can once again listen to my shows through this fantastic Bose system.