Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vanphyl
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 8, 2019

Lifestyle 20 upgrade with Arc and Acoustimass

After 10 years of using my Lifestyle T20 system, which I love, I am curious to see what's on the market - however, I do not wish to replace my speaker set, just the receiver.

Which means that I'd need to upgrade to one which still has the acoustimass connection. However, I'd like the upgrade to support ARC technology, as I still need to use my Bose remote to turn off/on the Lifestyle system (eventhough the TV remote can control sound and does turn off the audio receiver in the installation prompts). Is there even such a product, which supports the oldschool acoustimass as well as ne newschool ARC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Lifestyle 20 upgrade with Arc and Acoustimass

Author Accepted Answer selected by vanphyl

@vanphyl wrote:

After 10 years of using my Lifestyle 2p system, which I love, I am curious to see what's on the market - however, I do not wish to replace my speaker set, just the receiver.

Which means that I'd need to upgrade to one which still has the acoustimass connection. However, I'd like the upgrade to support ARC technology, as I still need to use my Bose remote to turn off/on the Lifestyle system (eventhough the TV remote can control sound and does turn off the audio receiver in the installation prompts). Is there even such a product, which supports the oldschool acoustimass as well as ne newschool ARC?

Sorry to give you the bad news, your speakers will only ever work with that receiver. You cannot replace the receiver as you will have to replace all of your speakers (or possibly only your receiver, subwoofer, and some wiring).

You can either trade in your speakers to a local Bose dealer as mentioned in "Option 2" in this guide or you will have to replace your existing system with something else like a SoundBar or another surround sound system.

Though if you choose to use your existing Lifestyle 20 system there are ways to use it with existing 4K HDTVs and media devices. I made a guide to help you know what your choices are.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope it at least answers your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by vanphyl

@vanphyl wrote:

After 10 years of using my Lifestyle 2p system, which I love, I am curious to see what's on the market - however, I do not wish to replace my speaker set, just the receiver.

Sorry to give you the bad news, your speakers will only ever work with that receiver. You cannot replace the receiver as you will have to replace all of your speakers (or possibly only your receiver, subwoofer, and some wiring).

You can either trade in your speakers to a local Bose dealer as mentioned in "Option 2" in this guide or you will have to replace your existing system with something else like a SoundBar or another surround sound system.

Though if you choose to use your existing Lifestyle 20 system there are ways to use it with existing 4K HDTVs and media devices. I made a guide to help you know what your choices are.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I hope it at least answers your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

View solution in original post

vanphyl
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 8, 2019

I see, fair enough. To be honest, I kind of anticipated this response. Will see how much my system is worth when trading in.

That being said, it really is just about that inconvenience, that the Samsung universal remote doesn't send on/off signals to the Bose T20. That CEC/ARC feature would go a long way...

Thanks anyway NeonsNight! 

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@vanphyl wrote:

I see, fair enough. To be honest, I kind of anticipated this response. Will see how much my system is worth when trading in.

Sounds good, just know with Bose discontinued SoundTouch there is a chance that a new version might be coming out. Though due to the worldwide chip shortage who knows if it'll be this year or the next.

@vanphyl wrote:

That being said, it really is just about that inconvenience, that the Samsung universal remote doesn't send on/off signals to the Bose T20. That CEC/ARC feature would go a long way...

I am not a big fan of ARC due to its limitations, but I do like CEC (even though that can also be a headache at times)

There is another solution and that is to use an app as a universal remote with a special home network controller plugged into the AV20. Though I would still recommend the other universal remote I linked to in my guide if I had a choice.